The below 24 hr trend is from Nate, a 15 year old type 1 Diabetic... with a little help from his mom Emily, they are achieving some of the most inspiring trends to date. A 15 year old producing 24 hr Flatlines??? wow! Need I say more?

"WOW, a little surprised to post again, but here's his 24 hour! I thought we had nighttime basals correct (as long as he doesn't have a bedtime snack) and I guess they're looking pretty good. Fingerstick this morning --87. We'll see how today goes..."

Posted by Emily 5/28/2011

Views: 3190

Replies to This Discussion

That's definitely not a rollercoaster! Well done.

Good job, Niko!! I don't think the width of the lines is as important as the consistency, which you definitely have! When you can generally run a consistent line, then you can think about ways to get it lower. And the 157 after breakfast isn't so bad, either -- it's not a huge rise. Again, if you had started lower, you wouldn't even have gone that high. So you deserve a big pat on the back! :-) W00t, w00t!!

here's one on my Nav - as flat as I have ever managed I think. Stayed at around 4.6 (83) nearly 24 hrs. The fingerstick at the end (the cross shape when the sensor had finished) was higher at 5.0 (90). One of those days where busy so not eating much - often works for a flatline!
Running on v few carbs (prob ~20 per day so most insulin I take is for protein / chinese restaurant effect) does seem to cause a high (physiological rather than pathological) insulin resistance. The only way to adjust this is probably to exercise strongly like Dr B does. I have tried instead adding 10 g carb to a couple of meals (a small amount of rice or sweet potato) which possibly reduces the insulin resistance a bit?? i.e. I need no more insulin for the meal and perhaps I am more sensitive to the occassinal tweak doses I take?? Perhaps it is such a small extra amount (even tho it at least doubles the amount of carb I take) that it has no effect?? Not sure but the experiments continue!

Attachments:

Holy mackerel! That is as flat as a trampoline! Well done, Ralph!

many thanks and congratulations on your recent pic on the other thread. I hope you are (all!) doing well!

Thanks!

Nice job Ralph! I'm not sure how to answer your questions about very low carbs as I've never done that.

Wow Ralph, that is one insane flatline! Well done!!

I eat low carb and find when I do eat fast acting carbs the effect is more intense than I recall it being when I ate a high(normal?) carb diet.

You're saying you get a high from protein post meals, correct? I have noticed the same and do (when I can) square boluses to correct. Although, they don't always seem to work. Exercise just in general may be the key. Look at Acidrock!

I wonder if you could flesh out your thoughts, Ralph. I don't really understand the eating carbs/insulin resistance idea you're talking about

Wowzers Ralph, that's one beautiful line!

Your theory about low carb and insulin resistance is interesting (I eat around 30 a day). Please keep us posted on how it's working.

Sorry about delayed reply, still seeing how it goes. I think that the theory goes that when you eat very low carb, you start running on fatty acids etc which in turn tell your muscles not to use glucose (as they start to realise there is not much glucose coming in and so to save it for tissues that can't use anything else like brain(?) etc). This is a survival response to starvation else muscles would chew up glucose even when no food around leading to bad outcome! Certainly I find that 3g glucose (dextrotablet) will raise my BS about 1 mmol (18mg/dl) but on low carb I become much more sensitive to it and half of that dose will lead to same 18mg/dl rise (I.e. impression is when not insulin resistant some of the tablet used by muscles so smaller blood sugar rise. When physiologically insulin resistant from very low carb, muscles not allowed to take up any of the glucose from the tablet hence it has a much stronger effect, half the dose leading to the same rise in blood sugar). When I increased carbs (from <20/d to around 50-70 which I did mainly by adding 10-15 g (carb) of low salt/sugar heinz baked beans to my sausage and bacon breakfasts / other meals etc) I did not have to add extra insulin (still about 3 U to cover) but did seem less insulin resistant (as in same amount of insulin covered added carb so insulin appeared more effective and correction dose of glucose less effective than when on v low carb (ie need the whole 3g glucotab again to raise blood sugar 18mg/dl instead of half this dose). It may be this higher level is enough carbs to switch me from ketone/fat metabolism back to carb usage (as muscles realise glucsoe around so start being allowed to use some of it again) which may account for things??? I don't know. Interestingly I started to put on weight even with this small extra amount of carb. Hb A1c on HbA1c Now test kit was 5.7 today (very high for me on this test (highest i have scored on this kit in the last 2 years of testing each month whilst on low carb) tho I know it is not accurate to more that 0.5% compared to lab so may be an outlier result). For present I have gone back to the usual <20g carb per day which at least I am used to! If you go to Hyperlipid (via google) blog and type 'insulin resistance' into the search box it brings up some very interesting articles regarding physiological insulin resistance of both muscle and fat cells which is where I got the ideas from. As far as I can tell in me, eating <20g carb means I run on fat/ketone mainly hence muscles don't use glucose hence I have physiological (i.e.reversible or natural response) insulin resistance. This could probably be overcome by hard excercise as per Dr B. However when I exercise hard (fast cycling every day) on <20g carb per day, I get quite worn out, stiffer muscles and night cramps (despite plenty of salt / Mg) which I take to mean my glycogen stores have run out (???). This is why I tried increasing carbs as above to cover exercise. It addressed the cramps / knackeredness but I think this flicks me into carb metabolism, reduces my physiological insulin resistance but increases weight / HbA1c as above. I can't tell how Dr B manages to get away with exercising so hard on a low carb diet without getting symptomatic from glycogen depletion (tho I think there is a big difference between weights and aerobic exercise but he does alternate days aerobic exercise with high heart rate so it may not be this as a reason). Perhaps I need more time to adapt (tho 2 years shoudl have done it!). More likely all the above is wrong - that's the trouble with anecdotal experiments on yourself (and the fact that it is a much more complex system than just insulin)! Still I will keep experiemtning! Anyone out there managing lots of aerobic exercise daily on 20g carbs per day without glycogen depletion?? Best wishes

you guys make me happy!! I've been flatlinning while eating low carb (paleo!) for a while.. Check out one of my 24 hour stints, posted at 1happydiabetic http://www.1happydiabetic.com/apps/blog/show/10333424-my-blood-suga...

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service