Hello,

I'd like to try both CoPilot and GlucoFacts Deluxe software to see which one I like better.  I don't mind paying 15.00 for the GlucoFacts cable but the CoPilot one is over twice the price and I'd rather not put out that kind of money for something I may not even continue to use if I decide to go with GlucoFacts.

Does anyone have a CoPilot USB cable that they would like to get rid of?

Thanks,

David

Views: 393

Replies to This Discussion

Those are coveted like gold lol. Even people who work for Abbott have trouble getting their hands on a cable (the USB to serial) :-)
I wish I could help you out, but I don't have one myself. Hopefully someone on here wouldn't mind passing one your way!
I'm not surprised, being priced as they are! Thanks for the reply. Figured it's not likely to get one this way, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I wish I could decide which software I would like better from just looking at the User Guides and then purchase that cable. I think I'd actually have to use each one to see which one is better for me.
Co-Pilot is a free download from the Internet. Have you tried using Co-Pilot with the cable you got from GlucoFacts?
I don't have either cable right now but your idea is a thought if I end up getting the Bayer cable which is half as expensive as the FreeStyle one.
The cables are specific to the meters. Bayer cables will only work with Bayer meters, Lifescan cables with Lifescan meters, Abbott cables with Abbott meters, etc.
If it is a "serial to USB" (the port that looks like a stereo jack), it may work...but I don't know anything about the Bayer meter, so it may not use the same type of set-up.
I have heard that Abbott is working on updating their serial plug ins to either USB-A, USB-B, or micro USB (all three are pretty 'standard' in the USB world...but I don't know which one might win). That being said, I'm pretty sure if you've signed up for the Freestyle Promise Program, you have 'free meter upgrades' for life...so although it's not a fix for you now, you have something to look forward to by upgrading your meter at some point (whenever they roll out the new meter) to a plug-in system that more people use. I've attached a picture of the various types of USB that folks use these days. Hopefully Abbott picks one of them (rather than that goofy serial plug that only they seem to use).

Thanks for the cable education. I didn't know they used an uncommom type of plug. That's good to know. I am in their FreeStyle Promise Program.
Something I actually learned recently: as part of freestyle promise program, you can have free battery replacement as well. I heard this straight from an Abbott person (who works w/ the program). However, I haven't taken advantage of (or even looked into this) yet. I thought it was interesting though b/c in the past I've always just bought my own...
That's not really on subject here so I apologize for skewing the topic, but I thought I'd share the news I'd heard pertaining to that program.
Wow. I just replaced my batteries. Got a good deal on them over at Michael's (arts-and-crafts store)
Several meter manufacturers have told me that even though their serial-to-USB devices look identical (e.g. 2mm mini phono plug to standard USB), their meters are designed to be incompatible with third-party cables because of HIPAA regulations.

While going through 64-bit Vista issues with my Abbott USB cable, I got the impression that each serial-to-USB cable has its own device identification/BIOS/drivers. (One of our members -- don't recall who, offhand -- posted links to the source for the necessary drivers for the Abbott cable and the registry hack needed to make them work under 64-bit Vista. Bottom line: we had to tell the registry the cable had a different device ID than it thinks it has.)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Where are you Medicare? The elephant was not in the room

This was the question burning in people’s mind and passionately talked about yesterday and today at the General Sessions of the AACE/ACE Consensus Conference on Glucose Monitoring, an event to bring together in Washington, DC all relevant stakeholders to Read on! →

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service