I am looking at gastric by-pass. I am close to 70 yrs.old. What experiences , good or bad , have you all had.

Is there someone out there that was older than 65 when they had the procedure ?

Steve

Views: 55

Replies to This Discussion

In Ontario, Canada, medicare won't do it for those over 60 or over 300 lbs. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone beyond that range either, as the trade-offs are changed a bit. The extensive screening process would likely catch any latent problems, but I would be cautious. If weight is the biggest issue, together with t2d control, I would go on optifast stuff for 2 meals a day.
Hey Grant What trade offs are you referring too ?
Hey, I am 70 yrs old. At the end of August I had a "lap band "put in by my Dr. We had a lot of discussios about what was best. He recommended Lap . It is the least invasive method to try.
We did it and I was walking the halls within one hour. I hae eliminated all but one pill. I even threw away my insulin. I have dropped 55 #. I follow the guidelines for diet and exercise. I now have some spring to my walk.
My weight was 355. You are right, some things are not good for everyone. My choice was to do this or or wait for the hearst. At least I am fighting back this cursed disease.
Steve
From what I understand from a friend who is in her late 50's and is completing her fifth week after surgery, it's not as easy as bypassing your stomach or intestines, and then dropping the weight. There is a lot of stages that you go through, many hurdles to overcome, and that's before surgery. I would agree with Grant, that checking into everything, and checking out your general health, would be far more important than just a quick fix.
I had gastric bypass at age 50. At first the weight came off pretty fast but then I started a lot of vomitting and that is no way to lose weight. Due to stresses in my life I gained a lot back but am again watching what I eat. As far as my BS levels during the weight loss it never did lower my numbers. Dissappointed to say the least.

I am going to have GBypass in feb 2012. All has gone well so far. I have met with all the dr's and am in my 5 of 6 classes. Any advice for me? What do i need to have on hand before the surgery? Any advice you can offer me will be greatly appreciated.

I just had RNY done 12/6/11. Just still getting over the bumpy patches and trying to figure what I can eat. I am T2 and came off all my meds except vitamins and a heart pill. All my BS have been normal so far. Well worth the effort, Hope things go well for you.

Hi follks! Just a quick note, I've not been active on this website for many months. Did RNYGB in Hamilton, Ontario under OHIP bariatric program April 23 last year, 2010. My A1C has been .060 or less since, so it's as if I'm no longer a type 2, all tests have been vg, feel great, my weight is steady at about 210, was as high as 305 as a type 2 peak using insulin (lots of it). I'd like to lose another 25, but don't need to medically; weight loss was NOT the goal, health was. More fit and healthy than I've been since I was 16. No side effects so far, no emergency visits, no trauma. Would do it again, it was right for ME, isn't for everyone. Must follow the eating and exercise regime/ rules afterwards and for life. New lease on life. Going to endo today for routine visit, will likely do another A1C. Still take lipitor generic, metformin 500 x 2) and lose dose bp med, plus supplements D, C and Materna. I love my life now.

Congrats Grant. I just had RNY done 12/6/11. Just still getting over the bumpy patches and trying to figure what I can eat. I am T2 and came off all my meds except vitamins and a heart pill. All my Bs have been normal so far. Well worth the effort, Hope things continue to go well for you.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Where are you Medicare? The elephant was not in the room

This was the question burning in people’s mind and passionately talked about yesterday and today at the General Sessions of the AACE/ACE Consensus Conference on Glucose Monitoring, an event to bring together in Washington, DC all relevant stakeholders to Read on! →

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service