Anyone know of any apps being developed for the iPhone? I just switched from a Treo 650, and am missing my CalorieKing carb database, among other things.

I know with the SDK release that we are likely to see some cool things in June, but am wondering if anyone has learned about any diabetes-specific apps.

Tags: iPhone

Views: 511

Replies to This Discussion

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know I've developed an app for the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Islet 2.0 allows entry of glucose, insulin, food, and exercise data. Backdating is possible. You can email comma-separated lists to export the data. Graph all types of data - view high, average, and low data on an hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly basis. Export full-size graphs. $2.99 on the App Store - http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=2...

I am actively developing this app still and would love to hear some feedback! You can find more information and screenshots here: http://www.iabetics.com

Thanks,

-Mike
There are two or three applications available for the iPhone/iPod Touch. I reviewed one of them here: http://www.honeysweet.us/2009/02/14/a-review-of-the-diabetes-log-it...

There is also GlucoseBuddy, islet, and diabetes pilot. I hope to be reviewing them all soon.
While not strictly a diabetes apps, Dietician can be useful for those looking to manage their diet:

http://www.appletell.com/apple/comment/appletell-reviews-dietician-...
I'm very excited to hear about these applications using the IPhone (and possibly other mobile devices.) Has any thought about how to integrate these apps with tudiabetes.com where others can help monitor, give advice and support others? And possibly how to link this with the healthcare team (Physicians (GP and Endos), Nurse Diabetes Educators, Dietitians etc)?

Thank you!

Steve
I thought this was a great idea at first considering I always have my iPhone with me but after downloading and trying to use a couple (Glucose bud and Glucose) I realized that the last thing I wanted to do after pricking my finger was leave a giant blood smear across the face of my iPhone. So I went back to the low tech route. Unfortunately for me I'm a bleeder :(
According to what I understand, there are iPhone/iTouch apps being produced right now where your glucose readings will transfer over the air via a sensor gateway. For more on this check out this blog post from Diabetic Cookbook Blog.
Diabetes pilot, works great in all areas - takes a little bit to get customized tho. Once done, it's the best one out there, so far.
I have Diabetes Pilot on my HTC winmo, but find inputting everything manually a drag. Would really love to see more integration with meters, and manufacturers opening it up a bit more.

I'd also love to have something that uses the GPS in my phone to track exercise. At the moment for my cycling i use Garmin .gpx files which i upload to trailguru.com and that gives me a calories burned graphs and stuff.

I think I may get rid of my HTC and go the iPhone way - seems like that's where all the good apps are now ...
here's a carb counter for the iphone : http://www.myt1life.com/
I am starting to look now. Any new insight into cool / functional apps? Also, anyone know if there is any integration with the Paradigm 722 or the Meter?
I do not know of any integration directly with the meter or 722 pump aside from the carelink site - but GlucoseSurfer on the web can import the csv files exported from the carelink site, as well as the text files of food/activity/etc I create in Glucose Buddy on my ipod touch - that way I have a single database, and don't have to reimport the glucose readings into glucose buddy as all of that data is now in the csv file from the pump. Still trying to get my not particularly tech savvy CDE to appreciate all this effort!
If we look at Mendosa.com, we can quickly learn about almost everything that has been designed for diabetics in terms of record-keeping and testing. My beef is that they all seem to be looking in the same way and are generally variations on the same theme. We need to zoom out quite a bit and begin asking a whole different set of questions and design something that truly makes us partners with our health care team. I want to examine my diabetes in a context that sees me as a whole patient. So much attention on blood glucose readings, carb and calorie counts, and insulin/meds seems to me to be like everybody's running around the same flag pole. There are hundreds of existing applications to do this, one faster, or snazzier, but essentially the same old same old.

The SDK will integrate these much more in two or three years, especially if we begin designing it now. We need to adapt other hardware so our bg meters plug right into the iPad. And so does our BP cuff, and our scales. And our A1c. We can touch screen our dosages, but I still refuse to turn every meal into a science experiment when I've matched most other's results in terms of weight loss and lowering A1c by simply listing what I always put into my mouth. Dragon will type that in already on my iPhone. We can then get an integrated printout to dazzle ourselves, email them to our providers, and use database management to compile 7 day, 14 day, monthly, quarterly histories and trends.

I am working with both Type 1 and Type 2 in metro Twin Cities of Minnesota on these issues so we can arrive at a system that works better for a whole bunch of us. If we consider ourselves a Beta site and work together on these things, we can benefit a whole group of people down the road. That's our strength, IMHO! Miigwetch!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service