I had gestational diabetes with my second daughter (and most likely undiagnosed GD with my first, who was born 7 weeks early with low blood sugar and still weighed 6lbs, 4ozs). The doctors all told me GD would go away, they never even bothered to follow up with any tests. So, I decided to randomly test my blood sugar 6 months after delivery. Whoa, it was over 300! Still, I had a hard time convincing the doctors that something was wrong--"you're too young, too thin, you don't have a family history...." Well, I now have diabetes, officially diagnosed as type 1.5, but my endo is still trying to figure out how to best treat me. I'm glad to see this discussion group!

Views: 292

Replies to This Discussion

I also was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, but soon became a LADA - I was diagnosed when I was 3 mo pregnant with my 2nd child (who is now 31) - since gestational diabetes does not usually hit until later than that I have always suspected that I was really in the early stages of LADA or slow onset type 1 diabetes and the pregnancy made it worse. I wasn't tested after my daughter was born - but I also had gestational diabetes with my son born 2 years later - except after his birth my blood sugar did not return to normal. I did not go on insulin for a couple of years - since they insisted I was a type 2 (age 29 at with first gd pregnancy - 31 when 'officially' diagnosed) - this was before home blood sugar testing, before A1C's - and before tight control was considered so important (and was even possible - tight control can't be done with the old urine testing)

So I have been on insulin for 29 years - had 2 additional successful pregnancies (luckily after home bs testing was possible) - and have used a minimed pump for the past 12 years.

I suspect docs will eventually have to look at the type of diabetes that those with gestational diabetes end up with so they will realize it is not always type 2
I always tell my gestational diabetes patients to get an oral glucose tolerance test 6 weeks after they deliver.
I had the same experience and was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes at 28 when I was pregnant with my son Drew (back in 1991). My sugars creeped up close to 300 about 1 year later and then I was mis-diagnosed as a type 2 because they had not seen many type 1's at my age. I too was in the early stages of LADA and finaly saw an endocrinologist who correctly diagnosed me. For the longest time I thought it was my fault that I was diabetic. Maybe I did'nt exercise enough, was too overweight etc.. now I realize it wasn't me and I did'nt do anything to bring it on. This realization has helped me to get past the denial. The denial was only hurting me.
I have been on a pump for the past 5 years and it has made a huge difference with my #'s. Though at times I hate having it attached to me I know it's the best therapy for me.
I too have a similar story. I was hypo as a teen and twenty something then I got pregnant with my daughter and she was delivered 2 weeks early and weighed in at 9lbs 8oz. I was 5'7" and 120 when I got pregnant and went to 170. Never told I had GD. Then I had my son 21 months later and through out they told me I had it and I continued to loose weight and my baby was having a hard time gaining. Delivered 2 weeks early (both were induced) and he was 7lbs 4oz., big difference. My Dr. told me I would be fine, but watch when Im in my 50's for T2.

At 32 and my son 8 months old I woke up and couldn't see. I went to the eye Dr. and she tested my blood, 545 came up. She freaked out and here I am almost a year later. T1 with a 3 year old and a 18 month old and finally on track to get a pump, that is if I can keep my sons hands off it!
Wow, I didn't know there were other people like me out there! I had GD with my first pregnancy, I was on insulin because the pills didn't work! My son was born prematurely (most likely because my GD was diagnosed way too late). My son was also dx'd with type 1 diabetes at 9 months old.

My second pregnancy I was dx'd with GD at 20 weeks, lots and lots of insulin, and DS was born fine and no D. In each case my GD went completely away.

Fast forward several years and I was in the Trial Net research study, I was found to have all of the antibodies for type 1 and I was in the OGTT research phase for 2 years and tested every 6 months. My numbers were completely fine until the end of that 2 years and I was abruptly dx'd with D.

It's turned out to either be a long honeymoon, or LADA, I don't know the difference. I've been on lantus only for 2 years, but I'm thinking the honeymoon is over, my numbers have been very high lately since I got H1N1, and I'm needing to start Novolog.

So my oldest is 9 now. From GD to my type 1 dx was 7 years.
Well, as everyone else has said - it's good to know you're not the only one! I had gestational diabetes in pregnancy 3.5 years ago, then diagnosed T2 6 months later. 2.5 years later I asked my Dr. for the GAD 65 tests and sure enough, I'm type 1 (my Dr. wasn't familiar with the auto antibody tests I asked for). I take Lantus now and a metformin with dinner, which gives me really good numbers.

I must admit I'm in the depression stage of the grieving process. I just feel like I'm in a downward spiral and before ya know it I'll be hooked up to a pump having to count every carb. Not that I haven't been counting carbs, but I think to use a pump I'll have to be much more accurate.

Ever since I've been diagnosed T1, I've met so many people diagnosed as T1s as adults - it's sort of amazing to me that the medical community isn't more on top of recognizing it.
I am the husband of a GD wife. We lost our first at 8.5 months after 5 years of infertility and a variety of unsuccessful treatments. Never checked for diabetes. I am now kicking my self as I was already diabetic at the time and on 2 shots a day. Had not yet discovered the pump. I shold of seen some of the warning signs. We adopted my oldest and by the time that was finalized, we were expecting again. This time GD diagnosed and as expected it "went away". A year and a half laterour youngest was born and this time the GD did not go away. Everyone assumed it went to type 2 as my wife was 36. It was not until a week ago when we got back c-peptide results that we realized she was T1 or LADA - not sure the difference. Reading the posts here is really difficult. Now I question if we had been better patients demanded pre diabetes screening during the fertility problems, would my oldest daughter have been born alive? Going thru a renewed grieving. All pregnant women should be screened for GD and followed up after for Diabetes testing.

God Bless you all for sharing!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service