What is the fixation with glucagon?

It is a LARGE freakin needle.

A multiple step process (not self injected/instant,  not a 1 step process like an epipen) [has this changed?] 

As such grandma, relatives, friends even in the ideal scenerio for it, just will not use the stuff (ie too complex, too medical, too @*)#@*#@ spooky... "I gotta do WHAT....").

It has nasty, nasty side effects.

As a T1 diabetic with multiple decades experience (many, many lows) I say with honest candor, I would prefer to be dead rather than have it used on me. It is that unpleasant.

Cake icing, or brand name glucose gels.... what does the injectable glucagon actually provide to someone that having the stuff makes one better off, or more emotionally secure because we have some? Anyone care to explore this one? 

Stuart

Tags: ambulance, bogeyman, cures, fixation, gel, glucagon, hypo, injection, low, shot, More…soda, the, ultimate

Views: 165

Replies to This Discussion

I hate it too. I do keep one around. I am worthless the next day when I have used glucagon. But it has saved me when I was out and could not eat and no paramedics. I have my wife tell the paramedics to use dextrose I-V instead. Death or glucagon I would choose glucagon.
What are the bad side affects of Glucagon? I must be warned in case it's used on me.
The most extreme and continous vomiting I have ever encountered comes to mind. Avian Flu, Naro virus LOL, alcohol poisoning, I'll take them all at the same time, hands down, no hesitation in the least at all.

Severe migrane headache would be another evil by product. Severe light sensitivity, noise sensitivity, etc., etc. There are others too

Glucagon, no thanks!
Would sooner prefer to swim in the pirannah tank in a wetsuit composed of freshly ground meat before I would ask for it.
Hello Kent:

(Stuart visably still pondering that choice....)

Can I wish a slow and painful death upon the clown who uses it on us ???

Stuart
My husband has used glucagon injections on me several times. I have severe hypo-unawareness and have only had a CGM for 2 months. When I catch a low sugar too late or not at all, I go unconscious and start having seizures. I am not even aware I had an injection when I come to. Sometimes I have some nausea after but I believe it is much better than having the EMT come to your house. Esp. in Los Angeles where the mass transportation is the worst out of any big city in the U.S. (probably the world) and no matter what you were doing when you have had a low sugar (you might be home sleeping in the middle of the night-not driving a car at time of incident), the emergency room doctor will report it to the DMV and the DMV will take your driver's license away if you live in the state of California. Try having a "driving your own car" 20 minute commute home from work turn into 2 hour going home from work commute when you have to use the bus system here instead. If you have a 8 hour workday, 1 hour lunch and 4 hours of commuting to deal with on a daily basis, imagine how exhausting that would be compared to one injection and feeling a little nausea. I am very happy I have glucagon injections on hand for emergencies. The CGM takes two hours to calibrate every time I change the sensor so it is not a fail proof system but it helps most of the time to prevent lows. Tthe EMTs always over treat people with glucose-(same as an at home glucagon injection (thus bringing on nausea)). The hospitals send people home with over 500 BGs (they are afraid of law suits if your sugar drops again while you are there) which also creates a lot of nausea. Also the EMT will inject an IV (larger and more painful injection in a vein that stays there until you are released where they will start fluids as well) and create huge medical bills for you to have headaches over. Plus the ER forces you to eat terrible food. They never ask if you have any food specifications. They always bring ham, or spaghetti with meat sauce or something else disgusting. I am a vegan. I do not believe in killing or exploiting animals. What happens next, in Los Angeles, the city with the second largest population of vegans and vegetarians in the U.S. outside of San Francisco. You would think they would understand. WRONG. The dieticians then try to coax me into eating the pasta with meat sauce always saying things like "you could just pick the meat out". I let the dietician know that I am not stupid, the fat from the meat is melted into the sauce. I have not eaten meat for 20 years and as a dietician they should be aware in a county of the second highest vegan and vegetarian population in the U.S. that people like me can no longer break down the fat from beef. We would vomit thus undoing the getting a meal into us idea. The dieticians in hospitals seem to be the most ignorant in the field of nutrition and the most sadistic. So, for whatever reason, they cannot manage to bring a type 1 diabetic a meal for hours and hours after they find out that the patient eats a vegan diet or will not eat what has been given to them and they become very upset with me over my moral beliefs and attack my moral beliefs next. Also we, the type 1 diabetics get stuck in the hospital for an extremely long time because of the the hospital's failure to communicate with patients about dietary issues. I don't know. Maybe they try to force all type 1 Hindus to have hamburgers as well if they are in the ER for a hypo. All the hospitals do this. They are all very insensitve. And this is the tip of the iceberg as far as the horrble treatment I have experienced in the ER. I'll take five glucagon injections if it means not going to an ER. I would do nearly anything to not go to a hospital. Hospitals are hell on Earth.
Yes, it *is* a huge needle. But family members have substituted a regular insulin syringe, once the glucagon is mixed. And it works just as well. It's much easier for them, and also for me.

I would assume that the multi-step process of mixing the glucagon preserves the glucagon, so that it's available for a much longer period of time, in case of emergency.

In my own experience, I've never self-injected glucagon. If I can self-inject, then I can certainly use almost anything else (fruit juice, glucose tabs, hard candy) to recover from the hypoglycemia. Of course, that also means making sure that you always have a quick-acting carb available.

Doretta
Hello Stuart: I have had the vomiting, high Ketones, high blood sugar and a bad headache after the glucagon. Drink lots of water after and give insulin and test every hour till you come down. I have never given myself the shot it has only been given to me when I was unconscious from low blood sugar.
The Shot works best for the diabetic that is unconscious, thrashing around or in convulsions just stab him and inject. Hard to get an IV in under those circumstances.
It does not work if it is expired must be up to date.
The dextrose IV works well with no side effects except maybe high blood sugar.

Hello Kent...

Thanks for taking part.

You forgot the OBSCENE cost of that I.V., given by white-coat types. On our own (if we were qualified) they'd be cheap. Done in a hospital... eeek, insanely expensive.

I hate it too! My childen (young adults) have threatened me with it for years. I become quickly willing to eat what ever they are offering, rather than argue and become violent when they try to tell me that my blood sugar is low. They have had to be responsible for my severe lows, which is unfortunate. It has saved my life more than a few times!

i go through 18 glucagons a month, sometimes more. i have hypoglycemia unawareness and have been using these to treat only if necessary. i have also had paramedics in my house 2-3 times a week. the glucagons make me sick for days, but then again the alternative(laying and having a seizure for hours on end) is well taken care of and would be the great way to handle things. i am unable to drink and eat during those times. i have had the emergency room doctors visits and they do not understand pumps at all and have given me dry turkey sandwiches and i am not really a meat person myself. so you have to decide which is more important to you. my kids have given me the shots and i have had the vomiting and the headaches and the messed up blood sugars.

Hello Krista.

Thanks for engaging... follow up question... if you have 18 (Eighteen) severe lows in a month, it would be a good idea to cut the heck back on the insulin, don't you think ?!?!?!

Once is too many, 18 in a single month is obviously way too much insulin in the game, no?

WOW I've been following this discussion for a while, and I'm starting to wonder what is scarier... passing out from a low bg or being treated with the glucagon?? Someone would prefer piranas to glucagon? Yipes.

I keep a kit nearby but so far it's never been used. I have passed out once, kind of, but woke up after being shaken. That was a scary day. So no glucagon so far for me. I don't look forward to having it used on me, but, I've made it clear that I prefer to be brought back, and deal with the after effects.

But every time I think I have a bad way to go... krista, my goodness.. paramedics in the house 2-3 times a week and needs glucagon 18x a month? Gee, that is so scary... at least the kids don't panic & can use it. I hope things get better for you.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service