Hey everyone,

I've been T1 for about 5.5 years now and was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism a little over a year ago. I gained about 10-15 pounds from Hypothyroidism before I was diagnosed and have been able to lose some of the weight but still struggle with getting rid of all the weight I gained.

Does anyone have a good eating/health plan or "losing weight" system that they have been using? I find it hard to with T1 because whenever I have a low I go immediately to sugary foods that add unwanted calories to my daily amount. I'm not crazy about counting calories and I workout at least 4-5 days a week, mostly cycling, running, and swimming.

Any advice or will losing weight with both T1 & Hypothyroidism always be difficult? (I'm also a graduate student and on a budget...)

Thank you!

Views: 330

Replies to This Discussion

Am T1 & hypothyroid (Hashimoto's). Not easy having both. Every time my thyroid dose is raised, my insulin needs increase.

The best way I've found to lose weight & maintain a good weight is by eating low carb. Low carb=less insulin. Less insulin= fewer, less drastic mistakes & less high/low corrections. Dr. Richard Bernstein's book Diabetes Solution changed my life. Sounds corny, but true.

Don't know what you use to correct lows. I use jelly beans because they're portable, fast acting, cheap & I hate glucose tabs. Each Jelly Belly brand has 1 gram of glucose & 4 calories. Easy to count when low to use an exact amount & very few calories.

I'm going to have to try the Jelly Belly solution--I HATE glucose tabs too. That powder that always poofs out when you pop the lid back on...yuck. And they leave my teeth feeling gross too. I try to only drink juice, but those suckers add weight to my purse! Maybe with Jelly Belly's I can get my favorite flavors and make a low bg slightly enjoyable.

Anyways! I've been T1 for 13 years now, my thyroid has been enlarged since I was diagnosed, but last year my doc started me on a small dose of levothyroxine. His exact words were "It's not a weight loss pill, but it will help your metabolism as you attempt to lose weight." So far, I've gained 18lbs despite eating low-carb, cutting out probably 90% of the processed foods and sugar in my diet (and I looooved my Little Debbies too), and beginning an exercise regimen.

I've scheduled a visit with a new doctor, so we'll see what he suggests. Good luck with your weight loss attempts!

Anyone who has been in our shoes, please post!

Hey ladies! A couple things that have worked for me:

1. The less insulin you use, the better you'll be able to lose weight. I'm sure you know that insulin helps the body store calories as fat, so I try to use as little insulin as possible. I basically don't eat carbs except to correct or prevent lows (such as after a workout), and I do workouts that rev up my metabolism so I need less insulin throughout the day. HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) is my favorite - great workout, short amount of time, and can boost your metabolism for up to 48 hours after the workout.

2. As per Gerri and KCCO's responses, correct with the closest thing to pure sugar you can get (including just pure sugar! love me some sugar cubes) and be careful not to overcorrect. That last one is hard for me because I tend to panic when I go low and eat everything in sight. It's helpful to have corrective amounts counted out beforehand (15, 30, 45 carb portions in ziplocs) so you don't, for example, eat a whole bag of gummy bears.

3. The plain truth is that it is hard to lose weight for anyone, and even harder for a diabetic, and even harder for a diabetic with low thyroid! It will always be difficult, but it will never be impossible. I find that the more I remind myself what I'm fighting against, the harder I fight - so when I'm feeling down about how my weight loss goals are going, I remember that I have to work 10x as hard as a perfectly healthy woman in order to lose weight, so it's ok if things are going slowly. Don't listen to the regular rules about how fast it should go, and don't get down on yourself - think of all the things your body does for you and try to think of weight loss not as punishment for your body, but something caring you do for it, for your health.

If you have any other questions feel free to reply or message me! I'm a personal trainer and have had type 1 for coming on 13 years, and I'm happy to help :)

ps. the MyFitnessPal app is what I use to track calories. If you're not already using something I HIGHLY recommend it, it's super simple and has a massive database of foods.

Thanks for including rule 3 there. I have been getting increasingly upset about my lack of progress, mostly because I'm reading success stories from other (typical) low-carbers. I haven't seen any progress at all in three weeks, and it's really hard not to compare myself to "success stories." I will try to be nicer to myself now!

Hi, all. I rarely post (and haven't to this group), but Britt, I am sorry for your challenges, but grateful you have posted and very grateful that all of you have responded, particularly Gerri and Halle.I continuously have thyroid panels done (with my glucose and lipids panels) and consistently (either TSH or T3) will be low, but no endo will ever put me on meds. As for Knittycat, I understand your frustration. It was a full month and a half of being lo-carb before I started seeing measurable results. If you were working out before, remember muscle weighs more than fat and the scale may not move with the speed you want it to. I have really only lost 5 lbs but that equates to 3 clothing sizes. When following Bernstein faithfully, my A1c was 6.3...not so faithfully it's now at 7.2 (and I wear a CGM 24/7!). My new endo wants me mean and lean, taking as little insulin as possible' due to my frequent hypos. I've reduced my dosage by over 45% and this is, I feel the key. It has been more challenging ever (I'm T1 for 33 years, ironically diagnosed on my 16th birthday). So I take inspiration and solace from all of you. Thanks for my 3 minutes. :o)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service