“Your diabetic”, a phrase I heard from a doctor after a trip to the ED last month, just a few days after my 40th birthday. I’ll admit it at first it confused and scared me. I had no idea what was going to happen next. Come to find out that my bg was 300+ in the ED & jumped to almost 600 while they were sending me around for tests and waiting to be admitted. After a few days in the hospital they sent me home (after giving myself only 1 insulin shot) with a bag full of lancets, some test strips, a prescription for 2 types of insulin (humalog and lantus) & a meter & a follow up appt with my doctor. That was my intro into the world of diabetes, my world now……

I just wanted to say hi to everyone.

Views: 3

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Axtion,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I don't get this way as much as I used to.

Have you been diagnosed as Type 2 or Type 1? If it is Type 2, with a change in your diet, monitoring your blood sugar and maybe some of the pills out now, you can probably get off the insulin shots eventually. It sounds a lot easier that it is. Making these dramatic lifestyle changes are NOT easy, but it's something we really need to do to get back to feeling "normal" again (blood sugar wise anyway).

The real key is support, and by your description of your initial hospital stay, it looks like you didn't get much. Hopefully, you are insured, and the insurance company doesn't give you a hard time getting your supplies. When you do see your doctor, they will probably refer you to an endocrinologist. It's important that you get the right endo, who will work with you instead of saying things like "You do what I say or you die!" I've had a few of them and they didn't last long. If you can get to see a Certified Diabetes Educator as well, they are some of the best at helping to actually live your daily life with diabetes (at least mine is). A C.D.E. is a nurse who specializes in diabetes care.

The way that I work with her is that I download my blood sugar readings from my meter to my computer weekly and then send them electronically to my C.D.E. She suggests changes to increase my control and it's been working great.

I have been a diabetic (Type 1) since I was 4, and I am the same age as you (40). I went a long time without taking care of myself and suffered some of the consequences; but in the last 5 years I have worked hard to keep a good HbA1c (a blood test usually done at the doc's office, that tells your average blood sugar over that last 3 to 4 months) and my complications have completely stabilized. Even if a cure is never found, keeping good control over your blood sugar is the most important thing to keep the diabetes "bad things" from happening; and if a cure is found, then you will be healthy when you get it.

If you have anything you care to say or ask Axtion, just post. There are a lot of people who are going through similar things as you and will try and help. All the best.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service