So, the place I usually go to get my tattoos told me they refuse to tattoo a diabetic person anywhere below the waist. I have quite a few but all on my upper body except for one on my ankle that I got before I was diagnosed as diabetic. I wanted another on my leg but they refused to do it.

Has anyone else heard of this or had this problem? I don't fault them, rules are rules. But at the same time I sign off their liability to any healing or infection problems every time I get work done...I'm not sure why my signing off on the liability for tattoos on my legs would count any less.

I still love my artists though and got 2 new tattoos the day they refused to do my leg tattoo. =D

Views: 1298

Replies to This Discussion

i have a tattoo on my right foot, and stars on my hips.. all the others are above the waist... but, i have never heard of any such thing. circulation issues can become a problem... so, i guess they are just trying to cover themselves where they can. i did however have a problem with getting piercings before. I have my nose and upper lip (monroe) pierced but did them at home by friends who are piercers. when i tried to get my bellybutton done at a shop, i was refused twice because of my diabetes. 

i assume the only reason they say none below the waist is because of poor circulation leading to delayed healing... but, that can really happen anywhere with a tattoo. so, if you want some below the waist, go to a different shop for those ;)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service