Hi all. I'm getting my med ID tattoo soon!!
Any advice to give ahead of time?? Besides having good bg's going in?? My husband, who is an artist, designed it for me. He even talked to a paramedic about it to see what would actually be noticeable by them.....which...btw....the paramedic said he would would see that before some of the new jewelry type bracelets since they just look like, well..jewelry. Funny...some with diabetes try to blend in, but in this case it's not so good. Just his 2cents anyway. I happen to agree.
I digress.....any advice is appreciated!

Views: 1063

Replies to This Discussion

Finally did it!
Fresh out of the chair!! I love it!

suppose i'm too late to say anything, but perhaps for future reference...

i've often been told not to have alcohol or aspirin, or anything that can thin the blood the day before a tattoo. supposedly, it can increase the rate of bleeding if you're the bleeding type.

no neosporin, like others have said, but here's why: a tattoo is a wound and part of the healing process for wounds is to lightly scab (i believe for topical wounds it's the equivalent of clotting). neosporin fights bacteria, which is why wounds it is put on heal quicker. however, and without getting into biological semantics, some bacteria have a purpose in part of the healing/scabbing process. so effectively, the neosporin will slow or prevent scabbing and sometimes keep a tattoo type wound (meaning not very deep) from scabbing at all. then there's the potential for allergic reaction, but that would vary by person. i'm sure there are people that have used it and it worked out fine, but as a general rule, you're not supposed to use it.

light scabbing (i don't know how else to describe the thin layer that will form) is important for tattoos because the ink will actually sit in the scab and then heal into the skin. but you don't want to leave the tattoo super dry otherwise the scab becomes hard and dry and can crack with movement, which can cause ink loss, which is why the right amount of lotion to keep the skin from being totally dry is key and this amount varies by person. i use it sparsely. some people will say to let it heal entirely naturally, but my above reason is why i don't do that. the type of lotion is important too, at least in the first few days. i avoid petroleum based lotions. a lot of people use aquaphor, but that feels like it clogs the pours and suffocates the tattoo (i haven't done any research on this, but the feel of the consistency of aquaphor makes me think this). plain, very basic, water based lotion is the way to go for the first few days to a week. after that, you can probably switch to whatever you normally use unless it has TONS of fragrance chemical in it. less chemicals is usually the better way to go.

then after it's fully healed, be sure to use sunscreen on it spf 30+ whenever you expect to be in the sun. most people don't do this or stop after the first year, but aside from the sun causing fading, the sun will increase the rate at which the lines thicken, this is just the way the skin works as new skin comes in. the area where most of us have our medic alert tattoos (the underside of the forearm) seems to have really good skin - always tender and tight so it's probably not a huge thing, but long term care, especially of a tattoo that serves a medical purposes is important.

oh, and one last thing, a lot of tattoo artists will put saran wrap on a tattoo. i never cause a commotion with my current artist (i've tried to inform past artists about it and it didn't go well), but when i get to my car, i take it off and put on bandages i've brought with me (like big medical non-stick type bandages. saran wrap suffocates the tattoo, a bandage is breathable and will also absorb plasma/blood over the next few hours. soooooo many tattoo artists still use saran wrap and they can never give me a good reason about why when i ask about it.

anyway, most of the above info is in general terms, the medical alert tattoos are so small that some of the above may not apply, but still good to know. most of my info has been obtained from taking with dermatologists and some of it is from my own nerdy understanding of human biology/anatomy/histology.

i like the design--simple, yet intricate.
yep...one point here. Just found out the hard way, my tat got messed up by an IV invasion. Have now dropouts in my ink. Might want to think about that..had to have new ink put back in.

WANT TO SEE THE TAT!!!!! been thinking about getting one of these. Mine would be a cartoonish turtle with looking back over her right shoulder with long braids and on one braid ribbon "YEP" and the other "DIABETIC"

whatt do yoou think?

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service