I have had diabetes for 21 years, am 28 years old and had my daughter 5 years ago and my son 19 months ago. I thought the pregnancies were hard but being a mom and a diabetic is even harder. I tend to sacrifice my kids needs before mine..somedays I don not get to eat until noon or forget to test my blood until late morning. Thank goodness Im on the pump or with all the running around Id forget to do my insulin. There are some days when my blood sugars are on a rollercoaster and I just cant run around with the kids and its so hard to explain this to them. Any other moms with any advice?

Views: 41

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kayla....Its not impossible, it just takes a lot of determination on your part and patience. I have two beautiful healthy kids but it took a lot of work but its all worth it. Your first step is to get a high risk doctor or team of doctors and meet up with them before even considering trying. I had a team of 6 doctors with 2 nurses. I saw them for 3 months before they gave me the ok to start trying. This step is very important. Your A1.C should be in the 6's for a good few weeks and remain there or no higher then 7 throughout the pregnancy. Another factor to consider is getting off all the drinks and foods with artificial sweetners. You cant have these during pregnancy except for Splenda. I am addicted to diet soda but I stopped drinking it 5 weeks before trying to get all the chemicals out of my body. Then once your pregnant you will just have a lot more dr visits then the "normal" person and the main thing is controling ur blood sugars especially the first 3 months!! Like I said it takes work but its not that bad. R u on a pump? I'd love to talk to u about it bc I was feeling the same way, we even considered adoption bc I was so scared. You can email me, its probably easier at pprovenzano4@verizon.net, Priscilla
Keep in mind that everyone is nervous before getting pregnant. Hopefully your diabetes is in good shape. You should definitely discuss with your doctor before getting pregnant and hear what he/she has to say.

Being pregnant as a diabetic can have some challenges.
However there are benifits:
Doctors are constantly wanting to make sure you healthy throughout and will listen to all of your concerns
You will see your doctor(s) far more frequently...believe this is an unbelievable benifit!

Have faith in the professionals you are working with and stay positive. Your endocrinoligist w/good nutritionist will be a awesome asset that most new mothers do not have access to. Th nutritionist I had was awesome and really taught me how nutrition works in the health of your baby.

Get in shape your blood sugars in shape before getting pregnant ..baby's heart development can be effected by high levels

I had one healthy son 17 yrs ago as a 19 yr diabetic. I did develop high blood pressure which was due to Mother's illness and ultimate death so the doctors were right there keeping me in check, I found this to me a tremendous benifit.

It can be difficult taking care of yourself with a not only an infant but all of the stress that comes with the ups and downs that all infants bring.
Your health will always be a concern and should remain as close to top of list ...just remember that without your good health your baby could be at risk of having a sick mother.

Wishing you much success
Maureen
I've had T1 for 29 years and have a 2 year old and 2 month old twins. For those women doubting that they can have a healthy baby, you can do it! Really! It's hard work but SO worth it. :-) And in response to the original poster of this topic, I remind myself each and every day that I need to take care of myself FOR my kids... I want to/need to be there for them for a long, long time! Even if my babies are crying, I always test first thing in the AM since I would be useless and an irresponsible parent if I passed out from a low. I do have a cgms, which is super useful too. With regards to eating, when my daughter eats breakfast, I eat. We have to be positive role models for our kids anyway so I take any opportunity to show her how to be healthy (and happy!). Hugs to all.
Yes having D and kids are like juggling two full time jobs. I have an 8yr old, she understands that I have to do certain things before I can do things with her. They are non-negotiable, I have to test my blood before we go out or do things out of the house. I also have severe neuropathy and so she knows that I can't always keep up to her. That doesn't mean that she shouldn't go full force.

For me I think it is all about educating our kids. My daughter even volunteers for our CDA and is a big pump advocate.

Point being, it's not impossible but it can take many hands to get it done.
Ladies,

Me and my housband planning to concieve baby. My HbA1c 6, which is great. The diabetes nurse says everything should be fine - got ferrum and folic acid for 3 month to take in advance. I`m on Humalog and Lantus (21E) insulin - which is quite a lot. Also read the high dosis of Lantus can cause cancer and not checked on pregnant women.
Any advice, please?

Thanks,

Edith

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service