Hi everyone, ok so I started using levemir almost a year ago and I am not sure that I have it figured out yet. I am taking 70 units right now and still having high mornings up in the 200 to even 300s. I have been working hard with my Dr. and we are still fighting it. I know that most people split theres up in two doses but when I talked to her about it she said she is not sold on that for people that take a high dose. she said that yes for people that take smaller doses of it she splits it but dose not think i should. although i did try it on my own just to see what happened  and there was really no change.

i have done the whole get up at 3 am to see if i am going low and i am not and i already knew that do to the fact that if to do take to much insulin at night i always wake up if i have low bs. she is sure that it is do to the fact of the hormones and my body getting ready for the day but it is ready hard to keep seeing these numbers everyday. dose anyone have any imput and dose anyone else take this much?

Views: 12544

Replies to This Discussion

Well, all I can do is share what has finally worked for me, after using Lantus and then Levimire
I am a T1.. Take split dose of Levimire at Bedtime and again at Lunchtime..

1. I have to be btwn 90-115 by my Bedtime dose of Levimire
2. If I am higher? I have to take a CB ( Correction Bolus) of Novalog
3. If I am Higher than 175 at bedtime? I also have to set my Alarm for 3 hrs and wake up, roll over and test and have my Novolog Pen at the ready (and my pre made Chart) to take another CB..

How do You get btwn 90-115 by Bedtime? have to eat at least 4 hrs before Bedtime..and hope you are Carb Counting as well ..and hope your right .. and I also test 2 hrs after eating.. to catch going to High or too Low..

These So called Poor Mans Pump/Long Lasting Insulins are not all they are claimed to be.. and guess what else? If you have Anti-Bodies as we T1's Do? It fights that insulin as well ..

Have you Gotten and read the Book > THINK LIKE A PANCREASE...?
If not, get it Right Away.. It should be mandatory reading for anyone on Insulin..
it will clarify things alot better and faster results than waiting around for oyur Dr. that is doing nothing more than guessing anyway..

and you know the rest of the drill. Eat less carbs and try to Excercise more..
I eat alot of Deli Meats and Nuts for my snacks and will even go Nuke a Egg and sausage bisket for a late snack.. ( no carbs) ...

and I'm not a Low carb freak either.. sure, I may have only 5-10 carbs for Bkfst, but 50-100 for Lunch ( making it my Biggest meal of the day) and back down to ave 30 carbs for dinner and when summer comes? Lots of Bar-B-Q meat /chicken' Brats and very low carb meals doing that..

Oh, one more thing? If your in the North? This is the worse time to get Good Control, we are doing alot less and less active .. things will imrpove come spring/summer .. Tell your husband you have to start Mowing the lawn with the Push mower too.. It does help with the Excersing goals..

Hope that helps..
Yes it dose help...I try to take in all of the input that people give me and I will keep this all in mind...I love to here what other people are doing and what all helps them.

5-10 carbs for breakfast and 50-100 carbs at lunch... Do you mean grams? 15 grams equal 1 carb. My doctor has me on a no carbs diet which is hard to follow. I can eat 1 carb and my numbers go up. You are right about the book. It is excellent. I bought it the first time I read you entry. I am new to all this stuff so I was wondering.
Thanks,

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service