I know, you're probably thinking, "I can't have bread!" This is for bread and bread substitutes that are low carb or low GI.

Views: 646

Replies to This Discussion

This bread is low GI because of its small individual sections and how long the yeast eats the carbs for you. This recipe was modified from Great Recipes for Good Health by Reader's Digest
Monkey Bread

1/4 oz envelope dry active yeast, or equivalent
1/3 cup warm water
3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup warm milk (I usually use warm water and powdered milk)
oil

Start the dough by 8 am for lower GI. (You may also let it sit for 2-3 days to make this into sourdough bread.) Using a large bowl, put the yeast with the milk and water. Mix salt and flour with liquids with a spoon until the dough forms a ball, adding flour or water as necessary. Knead until smooth and elastic. Put it back in large bowl and cover with a towel. Let sit until 4 pm at the earliest. Notice how big it is. Punch it down and let rest for 5 minutes. Divide into 24 pieces and shape pieces into balls. Coat a 1 1/2 quart baking dish with oil or nonstick cooking spray. Dip the balls into oil and arrange in baking dish in 3 layers. Cover with towel and let rise again for 40 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 toward the end of the rising period. Bake for 35 minutes or until it is brown and crisped. Makes 24 rolls. Eat only one roll at a time. One roll contains only 13 grams of carbs according to the original recipe (but I modified it so there should be less carbs).
Some Low Carb bread substitute ideas I've been considering lately are lettuce leaves, cabbage leaves, omelets, etc.

I've had this recipe in my computer for so long that I forgot which website I copied it from. I last tried it with whole wheat flour before I was diagnosed, so I'm not sure how well this bread holds up with low-carb flours. You may want to add more eggs to make sure it sticks together.

Zucchini bread
3 cups any low carb flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons cinnamon
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 1/4 cups Splenda
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup chopped nuts
Directions: Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl. Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar substitute together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until fork or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.
Debra originally posted this under lunch ideas. I think this also works as rolls or you could probably also make this into a loaf of "bread".

Hamburger/Mutli Purpose Low Carb Roll

3 lg eggs
1/8 pinch cream of tarter
3 oz cream cheese
(do not soften)

Seperate the eggs and add cream cheese to the yolks. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients together. In a seperate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff (if you're using the same mixer, mix the whites first and then the yolk mix). Using a spatula, gradually fold the egg yolk mix into the white mix, careful not to break down the whites. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spoon the mixture onto the sheet, making 6 mounds. Flatten each mound slightly. Bake about 30 min. (You want them slightly softer, not crumbly). Let cool on the sheet for a few minutes and then remove to a rack and allow them to cool. Store in a loosely open sack and allow to rest on the counter before use (otherwise they might be too moist). Can be frozen.
You can add dry mustard or dill or other seasonings to the yolk mixture. If you want more of a sweet taste add a small amount of sweetenter to the yolk mixture.
Net carbs .06g

This recipe was modified from Great Recipes for Good Health by Reader's Digest.
Low-carb Instant Bread Mix (a good substitute for Bisquick)
5 cups low-carb flour
3/4 cup plus 3 tbsp nonfat milk powder
equivalent of 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tbsp baking powder
5 tbsp margarine or butter or lard or oil
Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Cut in the fat you decide to use until it has the texture of coarse meal. I put the mixture in a clean 1/2 gallon pickle jar.

This recipe was modified from the same cookbook as the above recipe. This should help you get inspired with the bread mix. It's a good example of what you can do with it.
Lemon Quick Bread
Nonstick cooking spray
3 cups Quick Bread Mix
3/4 cup lemon juice
equivalent of 3/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
grated rind of 1 lemon
Preheat the oven to 325. Spray the bread pan with the cooking spray, mix all the ingredients together, then pour into the bread pan. Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick or fork comes out clean. If it doesn't taste right, you may modify the recipe to suit your flour better.

I've really been looking at different baking options lately and here is some of the information I have found on some of the different products out there. I know these aren't recipes however I hope this information will help.
Deb~

LC Foods makes great mixes for banana bread and pumpkin bread. I conducted 14 Meal Tolerance Tests (MTTs) on their banana bread and, on average, it had no effect on my blood glucose.

I also conducted many MTTs on six commercial "low carb" bread products. Grilled cheese sandwiches made with Chompie's Carbs...Not! Sesame Bread raised my blood glucose an average of only 1 mg/dl (6 MTTs). The best selling low carb bread, Julian Bakery's Smart Carb #1, was by far the worst - it raised my blood glucose 47 mg/dl on average (6 MTTs) and is made from high carb ingredients. Julian Bakery's claim of 1 net carb is not credible.

Gary Noreen
Low Carbohydrate Review
LCreview.org

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service