Does anyone have a diet that they stick to?  Like they only eat a certain # of carbs per meal or day?

Views: 469

Replies to This Discussion

The best plan is to do some regular testing and find what suits you. I've lost count of the number of people who have told me my low carb diet is "bad" or "unhealthy". Suffice it to say that I'm healthier and fitter than all of them. I currently have a resting pulse rate of about 55 most days. Blood pressure is about 110/65 too, so pretty fit. Cholesterol about 3mmol A1c in the 5s.
Hana
Dr Richard K Bernstein - he's the man!
Get his book The Diabetes Solution. His diet is laid out clearly there.
I have really started to control my BS since being on his diet of 6-12-12 [that's 6 grams of carbs for breakfast; 12 grams at lunch and 12 grams at dinner].
There's also a great Dr B group on this website .
If weight loss is needed this diet is excellent. If it isn't - as in my case - it stil works very well.
My body does best with fasting BG when I combine my carbs properly. That means no animal protein with carbs, beans with veggies only, etc. General rules of thumb: veggies go with everything (but tomatos don't go with everything; they're an acidic fruit). Fruit goes with meat or by itself. (An apple for a snack is ok). Only fruit that goes with carbs are bananas and dates (be careful with these fruits; they're higher GI). Milk products go with veggies or by themselves. Nuts and avacados go with everything because they're considered to be fats. If you need more info on combining food properly, google "food combining", "Hay diet", and "fit for life" (I know, sounds funny, but I'm not kidding. You won't be eating hay on that diet).

I pretty much eat the same things everyday. I follow the Bernstein way of eating less than 20 carbs a day, I eat an Atkins bar for a snack, I drink decaf w/ a splash of caffinated coffee coffee with heavy whipping cream in the morn. I've made sweets and any junk food , or any food that's not in my eating log my enemie. Food is not my number one concern anymore (used to have a bad, bad food addiction)... I've had this mind set for a long time now, and its done wonders for me.

I've been following Bernstein for several years and it works for me. Since I have a family, I CANNOT have the same thing every day. Other people like variety and I'm not about to start making separate meals. Also I'm not bothered if one of my babies [grandchildren] stuffs a biscuit in my mouth. I don't choose them for myself. Babies YES! biscuits NO!
It works quite well if you get used to it. I occasionally treat myself to a snack of an Atkins bar, but that's rare i don't like their price. I'm more likely to have a bit of cheese or salami.
My A1c of 38/5.6% is witness to the efficacy of the Bernstein approach. I'm still using only 2 x 500mg normal Metformin per day after 10 years and I know I can manage on less if i

I do. It's Bernstein's. My Bgs are much better if I get as close to
30 grams a day as possible. I am on Metformin 1 gram bid. Type 2.

I like to stick to as close as possible as I can to Bernstein too. However, I'm busy and don't like to be regimented, so my approach is to avoid carbs as far as I can and treat any I do eat as treats to be eaten in tiny portions. When I occasionally do a check on what I've acually eaten, I find I'm at my best at close to 30 carbs oer day or less. I just got my latest A1c, which was 5.8%. That's a bit higher than I like, but I've had a difficult 6 months coping with my husand's health issues. Those are now largely resolved and my life can settle to being merely hectic instead of frantically out of my control. So next set of bloods in August should be better. I'm actually proudest of my Cholesterol ratio Total/HDL, which is 2.6. I'm not even convinced that Cholesterol needs to be low. Howver. The VLC diet keeps it that way.
Hana
PS a degree in a biological discipline helps to catch the carbs that might hide

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service