Does anyone have a diet that they stick to?  Like they only eat a certain # of carbs per meal or day?

Views: 478

Replies to This Discussion

I'm off to see yet another diabetic dietician tomorrow (long story). If you're interested in what they say, let me know and I'll pass on the info.
yes im interested
HI, I have been insulin dependent type 2 for 4 years and find that if I stay below 15 grams per meal I don't have to use insulin. (usually) I have 3 meals and 1 snack per day. I have been doing this for 2 months now and it works 90% of the time. However if I get stressed, like when my husband went into the hospital, my bs goes up even when I don't eat anything. If I need insulin or eat more than the 15 grams I use a sliding scale to figure out the insulin. I am also taking metformin. I have been diabetic for 8 years now. I went to a dietician when I was first diagnosed and she allowed me 135 grams of carb per day with just metformin. My bs was good for several years then started climbing and I tried several other medicines (avandia, and byetta) but then went to insulin.
I do want to hear what she tells you.

Deb
I make it simple, I avid all "farinaceous " or sweet foods. I make a low carb bread and if I'm in a position where rice,pasta or potatoes are the only option, I have a TINY bit. It works and it's not complicated. I also enjoy, cream, cheese, fried bacon etc. I've been diagnosed nearly 8 years and manage on 2 x 500mg Metformin per day with HbA1c in the 5%s. Low Cholesterol too
Hana
If I were to do anything complicated, I'm sure Iwouldn't be able to sustain it. I'm still waiting for the dangerous effects promised by dieticians to happen.
hahaha Hana. I also enjoy the low carb lifestyle which along with 2 x500mg meformin per day which keeps my blood sugar also in the 5% range and dropped my cholesterol to healthy levels again. woot!
Here goes ... the dietician I saw today told me to eat 45g of carb per meal, 4 oz. protein - 3 meals a day and one afternoon snack that consists of 15g of carbs and a small amount of protein. She said I should lose about 1 pound a week as long as I'm doing some moderate exercise. I've been eating 6 small meals a day, but she's not in agreement with that. I'm really interested to hear what everyone has to say about this. I have in the past experienced low blood sugar by not having a snack between meals and one in the evening. ????? Oh, she also said it could be up to 60g of carbs per meal, but I need to be consistent from day to day and meal to meal with the amount I choose. 45g was the lowest.
Hmmm I know this is different but when I was pregnant they had me eating 3 meals a day and 3 small snacks, that could just be because I was pregnant. And I agree with sometimes needing a snack especially between breakfast and lunch since I eat breakfast so early. Are you on insulin or Metformin?
I'm on Metformin, 3x500/day. Up until yesterday, I was on 6 small meals a day, really low protein and carbs and the doctor said the dietician was out to lunch because it was basically a starvation diet and no one would be able to stick to it. That part is true, it was really hard to stick to. I agree with you about the small snacks, it seemed to keep my blood sugar level. It seems I get one answer from one diabetic dietician and now I'm the the opposite end of the stick. It's very confusing. Today I'm trying to go from breakfast until lunch without a snack and already I'm starting to feel my blood sugar dropping. It's shortly after 11:00 and I just tested (4.8, which is okay, but I have to make it until 12:30). I eat breakfast at 7:00 am. This is all very confusing and I simply want to be doing the right thing.
I think is you feel it getting low that you should just eat a light snack something with out carbs, well little carbs and see how that goes
Have 2 mozzerella cheese sticks. It takes the edge off the hunger. Also be sure to drink water. It helps to keep you full and you'll only get 2 carbs from the cheese sticks.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm having the same trouble at night as in the morning, so I do need to make a little adjustment. I'd be interested in knowing about how any one else manages their food plans. How many meals, snacks, # of carbs, calories, etc. Thanks!
I've never seen Mozzarella cheese sticks. I do love proper Mozzarella though.It's fabulous with sliced tomato and Basil leaves. Plus some Balsamic vinegar. A few carbs will sneak in, but keep portions small and it's not too bad
Hana
For carb free snacks, I share some thin salami slices with my grandddaughter

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service