I take metaphormin twice a day 500 mg plus a glipizide. My blood sugar never goes down I feel I am eating right! my blood sugar this morning was 250 then 2hrs after lunch 430 I don't feel my meds are helping and I really don't want to be put on insulin so can someone tell me please what else I can do I have also started walking at night. Or what I should ask my Dr.

Thanks

Kendy

Views: 74

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kendy,

Start writing a food diary. Write down everything you put in your mouth, and the time you ate it. Also record your physical activity, and your blood sugars. It might also be a good idea to record the GI and GL of foods you eat too - use www.glycemicindex.com to look it up. That way, you'll get an idea of how your body is reacting to the food you eat, and you'll be able to identify 'problem' foods.

HTH,
L
The information at bloodsugar101.com is an excellent resource. In particular, visit the page called
How to Get Your Blood Sugar Under Control
. There's also a ton of great information on meds.
obviously talk to your doctor. BE sure you've been correctly diagnosed Type 1 or type 2. Your current medication won't help a type 1 However what do you mean by "eating right"? Yours is a low dose of Metformin and it can't do all the work for you, To manage on this low dose, even with the Glipizide, You need to control your carb intake. You could start by cutting your carb portions in half and checking to see what effect that has. If you are already on "Reduced" carbs, then the doctor is likely to be your only answer.
However
Insulin is not a simple solution. It comes with "bagage" such as the risk of hypos and the likelyhood of weight gain.
Hana

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service