I'm a recently diagnosed 1.5 and I just started Metformin yesterday and about 4 hours after my morning dose, I'm getting slightly lightheaded. Anyone else have this problem in the beginning? Just wondering if it might be an adverse reaction or a symptom that will clear once my body gets used to it.

Views: 321

Replies to This Discussion

I take teh same drug and based on the dose you take it could be driving the BG down low. Check your BG at before and at 3 hours. Also I believe your should be eating when you take it

Th etest might give you a clue.
Thanks for the quick reply. BG's not too low and I'm taking with food. I have a sulfa allergy and I see from poking around on the net that it might mean I'm allergic to Metformin. Hope that's not the case.
Looks like the issue is moot. The endo told the nurse practictioner to take me off the Metformin since I tested positive for GAD.
When I started taking metformin I felt so so ill. I was told not to worry, it would pass - but it didn't. Headaches, dizziness, nausea ...

In the end I decided I would (literally) rather die that keep taking it.

Then I discovered Glucophage. I couldn't believe the doctor had put me on (cheap) metformin when he could have given me the extended release Glucophage.

Several times (because I travel a lot, live in different countries, have varying degrees of insurance) different doctors have tried to give me regular metformin, tried to tell me it's exactly the same.

But it's not ... :)
I'm actually very glad that, with my LADA diagnosis, they took me off Metformin. It really felt like it was going to be a bear to get used to it. Now I just have to deal with learning my insulin ratios. :-/
Hi Shawnmarie -- I was recently diagnosed with LADA this past summer (prior to that I was diagnosed T2), but when I was taking Metformin, I wasn't having too much side effects, except for the usual. However, I am not longer on Metformin and am too using insulin. How's everything working out for you? I hope all is well!!
It amazes me how I learn something new about Diabetes everyday.
Things are actually going much better than I might have expected. One of the things that has surprised me most about all of this is how little the medicos tell you when they send you home with insulin. I've learned tons from the people here and know I'll learn much more!
Yes -- everyone here on TuD are very helpful, and you're right, you'll probably learn more on here before you even get back to see your endo or diabetes educator!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service