Does anyone else get a neausea feeling after taking Metformin?  I thought it was because of the Glipizide I was taking with Metformin.. but now I'm convinced it's not...

Tags: 2, Diabetes, Metformin, T2, Type, medication, newbies

Views: 798

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Carly
My diabetic nurse has actually advised me that on nights out when I may not be able to have the same controls as at home, that its ok to take an extra metformin, although she did make it clear that this should only be done on the odd special occasion and not become the norm.
That is good news to hear. I tend to do this a lot on the weekends. My friends are great but with camping and picnicking in the summer. I find it difficult to convince them to bring salads along. Marshmallows and hotdogs are the main food source.
Hi guys!

I am adjusting well to Metformin.. unfortunately, my dosage hasn't lessen... I am going to see my endo this coming Tuesday.. I'm a bit nervous about this appointment. Unfortuantely, with my Glipizide and Metformin meds, I've suffered a pretty bad roller coaster effect this past month.. I can't seem to get my sugar lower than 120...soooooo frustrating!!

Ok, well hope all is well with everyone and thanks for the answers! =)
Metformin can't lower Blood glucose by much. Probably about 35 or so at maximum dose. If you lower your carbs, your numbers will come down and the "roller coaster" effect will reduce.
I'm currently keeping in the 4s [70 - 90] on minimal Metformin, tight diet and exercise.
Hana
I see that you keep recommending low carb diet...which I am currently on along with exercise but I was wondering how many carbs do you eat per day? Keep up the good work your numbers are great!

I try for 30 - 50g carb per day, but if I have a week like this one, with taking care of Grandchildren almost every day.they are tiny people aged almost 4 years and 16 months and exhausting, especially when grumpy with chicken pox. I'm a few weeks off 65 and a bit past having the energy for them. Still I managed to watch 3 "Herbie" dvds yesterday.
That puts my diet off a bit.
Hana
PS Metformin doesn't give me any trouble. I use 2 x 500mg per day and have since 2002.

I have been on Metformine for about 3 weeks. I have found a few things that help bc I was having all the terrible stomach symptoms listed.

1) I don't take it until right after my meal

2) if my stomach is still upset I eat a piece of bread with some peanut butter - I suspect the bread soaks up some of the stomach acid or something.

3) If all else fails I take Immodium :p
I have had many tummy troubles with Metformin. I have been getting better since I went to a gastroenterologist and found out I have low B12 caused by metformin. I am now taking B12 and folic acid every day and have been getting better.
I have been taking Metformin for nearly 6 months now. The evening dose would upset my stomach though I took it with food. I found that when I have a 6 oz. serving of fat free Greek yogurt with my evening dose of Metformin, I don't get the heartburn.
I was taking the long lasting Metformin (Diabex XR) one morning after meals and one in the evening after meal.   My new doctor told me to take the two tablets in the evening after a meal because it spreads more evenly over the 24 hours like this.  It may help with gastric upsets (I don't suffer any), worth a try anyway.
At first I had the same problem. I even threw up sometimes. I had to learn to eat at the same time every day for several months until the nausea mostly stopped. For me it took about a year to get adjusted. I had to drastically change my diet to diabetically "normal". I've been taking metformin now for six years. I can take it without as big a meal as before. I really have to keep up with my numbers and what I choose to eat. Also what time of the day I choose to eat it. I walk thirty minutes every other day for exercise. I hope this helps.
I too get Nauseated after taking it. I am on 500mg twice a day. It isn't as bad if I eat first but If I take it and don't eat within fifteen to thirty minutes I am gagging sick.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service