Hi, I'm new to TuDiabetes and would love to find out if there are diabetics nearby. I would like to start a group for discussions, outings, exercising, comraderie and sharing of info. on local docs/services. So .. if you're out there and interested I'd love to chat.

Views: 238

Replies to This Discussion

I'm glad you're not upset that I "borrowed" some of your words ... I did edit/change/add some things to more closely match my own circumstance, but the kudos still go to you! Maybe this will help those well-meaning friends and relatives who say things like "why work out at all, I prefer to get MY exercise gardening!". Actually, I doubt it will help with them at all, but it DOES make me feel better to have it out there for them to see! As you say it IS very therapeutic! And, I am also Irish (maiden name "Daniels") and prone to blushing easily. I have a potty mouth, too! I made a concerted effort to place it in check upon finally reaching my second trimester in pregnancy so as to avoid the classic scene whereupon your adorable, fresh-faced three-year old tells you to "Go Fu** Yourself" in a loud voice in the middle of the Wal-Mart!

Thank you for your kind words regarding Chloe. I am deeply enamored of her and of the young woman she is growing into. She's kind, intelligent, caring and funny ... so, if you only get one she's the trifecta! But, I do have a sneaking suspicion that you WILL discover this feeling for yourself ... and I DO want to know about it! I was "pre-diabetic" and developed gestational diabetes early in the pregnancy. My diagnosis came later, but probably could have been made MUCH sooner had I not ignored all the signs/symptoms.

You certainly made a beautiful bride, and your husband is a good and kind-looking man. Whether you have biological children or are the blessing some child is in desperate need of ... I'm guessing you'll make fabulous parents! You already have the ability to look at life (good or bad) with humor and grace ... and I can't think of a more valuable lesson to teach your children!

For Diabetes Awareness Month, I ordered tee-shirts for my husband, my daughter and myself from Zazzle.com. We each chose the one(s) we liked the best, they had hundreds on diabetes! If anyone asks any of us about our shirts it's another opportunity to let someone else know how insidious this disease is, right? And, I am making a HUGE effort to be more open about my diabetes and to become more accepting of it. For those of us who are diagnosed type II, often there is a huge feeling of guilt. You may have experienced it before getting your proper diagnosis. Regardless of what we ate & drank, or how little we exercised ... none of us chose this disease for ourselves or for our families. And, quite frankly, it sucks really big air! Are you doing anything special for Diabetes Awareness Month?

P.S.: The only other CC diabetic I've found so far is Dave Moran. Dave had surgery 10/26 & hasn't been online since then, his recovery was expected to be 3 days to 12 weeks. I hope he's doing well. I'd love to have the opportunity to meet sometime if you have both the time and the inclination. Maybe we could get together for a "diabetes luncheon" over the holidays or something? Anyway, I hope we continue to chat with one another. Your sense of humor and outlook on life seem to complement my own ... and I'd love to build some friendships nearby, too. It makes "catching a movie" so much easier!

Take care,
L.
I go to the Joslin Center in Baltimore (i live about 20-30 minutes out of the city). it really is wonderful! i dont even see a real doctor, just a nurse prect., but it doesnt matter--they really take good care of me :) This is the only discussion group remotely close to my area, and I have family in Syksville as well--so i'm just stopping by to say heeeeyyyy :)
Hello. Iive in Hampstead, and also go to the doctor at the Joslin Center at the University of Maryland Hospital. I have been going to Joslin since i was first diagnosed 19 years ago, first in CT and now here in Maryland. They are great! I am here to chat if anyone would like to chat. I have had plenty of highs and lows as a diabetic, from training and running the baltimore half marathon to passing out at work. So i can relate and discuss most situations.
Hi Jim! Great to "meet" you! We now number 5 local diabetics ... and counting! We have Shannon (Sykesville), Tim (Eldersburg), Dave & myself (both in Taylorsville) Jenna (sort of) and now you! thanx for the info on the Joslin Ctr., info on good medical team members was a primary motivator in my reaching out to local diabetics. Carroll County is not well-recognized as a hotbed of fresh medical talent, so it's awfully nice for us to be able to pool our experiences!

Anyway, I'll enjoy "Chatting" with you and feel certain the others in the group will also welcome you.

Thanx,
Laura
Not in the Carroll County area, but am in Glen Burnie.

I was seeing an endo at Joslin Center at UMD Hospital, but her next available appointment was in April (this was Aug). I met a new group today that are based out of Columbia and Laurel (which might be closer to all of you). I was put on Dr. Khan's patient load with Maryland Endocrinology. My primary suggested them after I told her that I couldn't see mine til April. She knows the head of the practice from when he was a student... I was very impressed! :-)
Hi Emily, I grew up in Glen Burnie, Pine Terrace between Greenway and Oakwood roads. Carroll Co is only about an hour from Glen Burnie.

Dave
Yup! This was the closest group I found on here... My grandmother lived in Sykesville for awhile, so I know where it is :-)

Are you doing meetups?
Sykesville is about 8 miles East of me, but then almost everything is 8 miles from me and I like it that way. We haven't done a meeting but I don't know why not, there are a few if us here, and Laura who started this is only just around the corner, about 2 miles. I am not as active here as I was early on, Laura and I keep in touch on facebook.

Dave
Seems I'm a little behind the curve with this, but I live in Carroll County, too. Just looking to do some networking. :)
Are any of you folks in Carroll County using the Pure 24 Fitness club in Eldersburg?
Are there still T1Ds on here in Carroll County?

I am still in CC (Eldersburg).

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service