I have enough insulin in my pump to last another day, so can I leave my site on for 4 days? Is it really a big deal? It looks healthy...

Views: 163

Replies to This Discussion

Well, it's really your call -- no one can give you advice on this issue. The set is FDA approved for 3 days, and the pump companies will all tell you to take it out after 3 days. Some people do indeed wear the sets for more than 3 days -- the major risk is infection, and it's up to you whether you think that's a reasonable risk in your own case. Some people are risk-takers; others are not.

Well, I know this dilemma all too well... it happened to me so many times that I decided to keep using another day because there was enough insulin...

and i still do it occasionally. But one day i did a really in-depth analysis and discover that every time i used the pump more then 3 days, i had much worse reading the next day. It appears that the site, the insulin or god-knows-what is less effective after 3-4 days... at least that the case for me. so I try to use a lower amount of insulin in the reservoir so i'll be forced to changed after 3 days...

i say change the site. Scar tissue builds up. the the next time you go into the area, you may get less absorption .

I have left mine in up to five days with no problem-- but it does depend on YOU and how your body works. I have noticed that by the fifth day my readings are a bit higher, so I don't dare go more than that (and even that is kind of "iffy"-- four is usually long enough). I don't have much trouble with scar tissue from pump sites-- although I will admit I have more "space" to put the set than most! Obviously, it's TOTALLY a personal call-- you have to use your best judgment about what works best for YOU.

Like Natalie said, "It's really your call". You may get away with an axtra day, but I'd advise against it.

I've fudged many times over the past several years. Sometimes I get away with it, most of the time I don't. If the infusion site starts to itch at all, change the infusion set... it only gets worse. It'll infect pretty quickly too. I've ended up with very red hard welts... not good and dangerous.

My temptation is to fill the pump with as much as it'll hold and wait for it to tell me my reservoir is low. So my answer is to put less insulin in the reservoir and change it more often.

I've been doing it for 11 years - works for me, but YDMV.

I have been on the pump for 30 years and have left it on for as much as 9 days and have done that for years without any problem. I now change it every 6 days, without any problems.
Change it. Put less insulin in next time so you aren't sting so much. That is what prompts me to want to extend the time limit. You know if you going to eat more (holiday meals) and Need more insulin, testing, boluses and such, or just normal life and probably not. If you run short, you change earlier, but I never have had that happen. When I put less insulin in, I end up with only 40 units left instead of 100. I am noticing that I use less insulin over time. Not sure why. I will discuss that with my doctor though.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service