Hi all,

i just got my 723. I've been on the 508 for 13 years, so the main feature I need to get used to is the bolus wizard. The next three weeks are very busy for me so I was thinking I would switch to the new pump now, but don't start using the bolus wizard full time till I have more time, but I'd like to use it occasionally

Question: Can you program the bolus wizard and still use the quick bolus? Do I need to turn it off, or will I just have the choice?

Thanks for your help!

Views: 235

Replies to This Discussion

You can use both bolus wizard and manual bolus. Is that what you mean?

Yes, you can use both anytime. When using the bolus wizard it will be a bit more accurate when you plug in your carb count. ♥ the wizard. my A1C averages 6.0-6.5. enjoy.

indeed, thank you! I'll use the manual bolus most of the time the next few weeks, use the wizard occasionally and then make the step to the wizard in a few weeks. I just wanted to make sure I would continue to have the choice even after programming the wizard, which I now know I can. Thanks!

You are actually talking about three things, all of which can be used interchangeably. If you want to bolus manually, go to Bolus and select Manual Bolus. If you want to use Quick Bolus, which is called Easy Bolus on the 522 (I don't know if you intended the same thing as that), you go to that on the Bolus Menu screen, and go to Easy Bolus, and make sure you set that as On, and then program your increment, which starts at 0.1u, and then when it is set, you can program a bolus by pressing the upper triangle key. And then there's the Bolus Wizard, for which you need to know your insulin:carb ratio, your insulin sensitivity and the amount of carbs in your food. And THEN, you need to know whether you need a regular bolus, a dual bolus or a square wave bolus, which some people use for protein/fat heavy foods.

So learning the Bolus Wizard system takes time and experimentation. In the US, it's better to get help from a CDE or an experienced person. Meanwhile, there is nothing wrong with using the system you're knowledgeable about until you have time to really concentrate on learning the new system. :-)

And also, I never use the easy bolus, because I tend to think in how much insulin I need, and it's just as easy to program in a regular bolus instead of pressing buttons for each increment of insulin.

Good luck! :-)

You can use the bolus wizard OR do a manual bolus. It's your choice.

I am wondering if anyone has a particular formula or other way of calculating when and how to use the square-wave setting. I know that with pizza or other high carb foods, I definitely need to use this function, but I would love it if someone has guidelines to start off with. I realize I will have to tailor it to my own needs and response.

To setup the wizard you have to have the total insulin delivered on a day over several day. I make my calculation over 10 days.((day1+day2+day3+....+day10) /10)

The settings I have in the setup of the boluswizard is:

Carb Ratios =500/ daily Insulin you calculated over 10 days ((day1+day2+day3+....+day10) /10)

Sensitivity =100 / daily Insulin you calculated over 10 days ((day1+day2+day3+....+day10) /10)

BG Target = 5.6-6.0 mmol/l

Active Ins. Time = 2 hour

BG target and Act. Ins. Time is personal.

From this you tweak your settings until it works for you.

But do this with your Doctor or your Diabetes Assistant.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service