I've been diabetic since I was 27 (that was 24 years ago), using multiple injections and oral medications. I switched to the 723 pump a little over a year ago. When I got the pump, I was told my insurance wouldn't cover the CGM with the Revel pump, because I'm not unaware of lows. But reading many postings here, it seems many people are using the CGM regardless. Was I given bum information, is my insurance trying to cheap out on me?

Tags: 723, CGM, Revel, conitnuous, monitoring

Views: 54

Replies to This Discussion

It varies based on insurance company. I got mine while I was pregnant and they commonly approve then. If my fails, I don;t know whether I will be approved or not. Some people seem to get them without difficulty though. did your endo write a letter of medical necessity?
My Dr notified my insurance company that she was putting in for CGMS for me due to the fact I have Hypo Unawarenes
I was approved for a year before she even had a chance to send it in.
Strange how some Insurances have their clients Jump thru Hoops and others just hop on board with the technology

Gary
Hey Rebel
I'm surprised your insurance would deny the CGM. It took me a year to convince my insurance company that the units were indeed necessary to my health and when I finally got approval so did everyone else (i thought). Find out where you send a letter wanting another opinion on this matter. I did it 4 (3 to cigna, 1 to other) times and by the time it went to an outside source I was approved. Good luck with this, it can be a nuisance until they finally see the light.
It really depends on the insurance company. And also how proactive your doc and CGM rep are. I got mine with no trouble at all, and don't really know why. But I'm really glad to have it!

Good luck, and keep on fighting!
It does vary by insurance. I was fortunate enough to switch to a carrier that covered the CGM- but, the new carrier did require the endo to write a statement that i was having lows. Of course. all of us know that highs need to be reacted to as well.
Insurance companies love to keep their costs as low as possible. If you want a CGM, then have your Endocrinologist write a letter of medical necessity. Have you never gotten a low in the middle of the night? Have you never slept too long and gotten a low? Those are two examples of hypo-unawarness almost every diabetic has. Most Endocrinologist's write a letter with no problem.
the key phrase my endo put in my letter of medical necessity was "has had low blood glucose episodes which, on at least one occasion, required assistance from another individual"
now, the definition of the word "required" is up for debate... but BCBS-GA approved my application
Ins companies do indeed want to keep cost down, The sof-sensors needed to insert and connect to the transmitter cost close to $45 each. Medical necessity is the Key. I am very pleased with the increased control I have with my CGM.

Wish you success with your attempt to get this great device
Usually hypo unawareness is a reason to approve the cgm, but there are some insurance companies still lagging behind. Is there any chance it's the type of pump you want not being their preferred pump? Maybe you'd get coverage if you went with another brand and another cgm?
Another thing...not only is every insurance company different, but every plan is different. For example, with my insurance, all I need is a letter of medical necessity but another person with diabetes that I know has to submit blood sugar readings, wait for approval, etc.
Good luck figuring it it out. Hopefully you'll figure out the hoops so you can jump through them.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service