My son has be T1 for 1 1/2 years. He is 11 now and wants the pump instead of daily shots. My endo is dragging her feet. I was told she can only handle so many "new pump" users at a time due to communications. Which I take is she doesn't have enough staff. We live in a western sub of Chicago and in my county have no ped. edos so we have to travel closer to Chicago. I have been pushing or 6 months of get him on the pump. Have met with the educator, had insurance approved and at last visit told that my conversion appt. needs to be with the Dr. not the nurse. We only meet with Dr. every other visit. Tomorrow we are meeting with Dr. and I am thinking of switching Dr.s if she does not start this process. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what should I do? I really don't want to change Dr.s but don't want to wait another 6 months. He is almost 12 and doing thing without us. He will be more apt to give his insulin if he just has to push a button. Now he says he will just do it later. Any suggestions? His AiC is 8.1 due to hi's during the night I believe. He goes to bed at 120 and wakes up at 260? It takes most of the AM to drop to normal range.

Views: 34

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks all for your input. I found it all very helpful. In the mean time, we had our quarterly Dr. visit (with the Dr.) She said I know you are ready to go on the pump and we are going to get started with that. After she talked to my son for a short while about it (and he knows all about it already, has seen one, knows I was close to changing Drs., etc...He says 'I really don't think I am ready" I was shocked!!! The Dr. told me that some kids do this when it gets right down to it. I think he is concerned about having it on him all the time. She said we can wait. He needs to be ready. He now is telling me that on the next visit he thinks he will be ready.
yes .
my doctor and clinic were afraid of pump technology.
That is my opinion.
left clinic and sought new doctor.
The pump providers should be able to help with suggesting a new doctor etc.
i have been on insulin since i was 5 yrs old that is 1958.
lots of changes and the pump is the best.
your son is thinking lioke me the unknown.
once he is hooked up he won,t look back.
tell him from me.
I was apprehensive to.
Perhaps if your son took his Lantus in two shots he could eliminate the night time low. Lantus really does have a peak, so taking it in a split dose reduces that one shot peak. Levemir requires a split dose, but has an even smaller peak. (There are personal preferences on these two long lasting insulins, but a much, much prefer Levemir.) Pumps are better yet, but going to a split dose for the long lasting could really help before he gets to the pump stage.
Do not be in a rush to start on a pump, your son has a lot to learn first about diabetes. I was was on multiple daily injections {MDI} for more than 45 years, I am on the pump now but only for two years, I am 68 years old, I did the pump school on line. Maybe he would like to start with the on line pump school..?? regards packrat
MY son was 10 when he was diagnosed in June of 2005. 6 months later he was using the pump. I went into pumping rather naively which may have been good. The pump is great but only as great as the info that you put into it. Which means it takes alot of adjusting initially. I love it that my son can go anywhere and have his insulin "on board". He hates changing sites and does not like to do it himself. (he is 15 now and I am working hard to make him more Independent where this is concerned) . He has a friend that was diagnosed about 2 years ago and wants nothing to do with a pump. He prefers the shots and insulin pen. I am glad we made the
switch when we did but it is time consuming initially. If he truely hates it, you can switch back to shots and lantus. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Trudy thanks for your reply regarding the pump and Lantus. Yes, I have tried moving his Lantus from AM to PM and even split it in two shots like you suggested and Jason still wakes high.

I have gone back to giving his Lantus in AM because of no changes and our routine is pretty constant in the morning.

We go back to the endo next week.
There must be an answer to Jason's problem. Perhaps your endo can help you find it. I've really been lucky with my doctors and CDE in helping me solve problems, which do seem to keep popping up. Best luck.

Hi!!  I was diagnosed at age 12 and did injections for 6 years.  I also really wanted a pump and had a doctor who kept telling me "not yet, not yet" He said he wanted me to have better control before I could go on the pump..??!!  Weird, right?  I switched from a pediatric endo to an adult endo when I turned 18 and the FIRST thing he did was immediately get me on a pump.  My A1C was also in the mid-8's pre pumping and dropped almost 2 full percentage points in the first couple months after I started pumping. It was great for me in so many ways (aside from my A1C dropping so much which was awesome).  I've always been very active, and having the pump helped a lot with exercise and also helped me have a more "normal" life, which is important as a teenager.  I would definitely consider switching doctors if your current one will not accomodate your request for at least trying a pump.  I've had a few bad doctors and a few great doctors in the past 16 yrs with diabetes and always wish I had not stayed with the bad ones as long as I did.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service