If so why, how did it go?

I've been pumping for 25 years. I tend to get trigger happy and feel that the pump has caused me more problems, bigger lows. I see my numbers not getting any lower and I bolus more, and sometimes I end up in big trouble!

New to the group/online community~ glad I found you and looking forward to sharing with you all!

Ruth

Views: 989

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I take my pump's suggestions seriously and only RARELY override them. So I'm having far fewer lows on the pump. When I was on shots, I never did know what exactly to do about highs and often ended up stacking insulin. My own fault, I know, but I like the way the pump does the math for me! :-)
I WANT to, sometimes go back on shots, I have had this piece of junk at times MM 723 Paradigm with a CGM, and like today had over 300s. So I just continually bolus to try to correct it, and if I have a low, oh well, get to eat some sweets?It is sooo hard to get to like this, and the reps for this piece of junk don't help either!
Just checked it it was 192, better than 300s or even 200s which it is a lot! I DISLIKE this disease, with extremely limited help out there!
OH WELL, the best doctor, which I will continually believe is, YOURSELF!
YES, you are right I am kinda upset, I wasn't instructed in them proper way in using the pump from the CDE
I originally had, felt like I was on a crash course, for them to get to the next person. Was put on the CGM within 2 weeks after going on the MM pump, too quick!
I need another CDE to instruct me more thoroughly! Would that solve a lot you think?
Well, I think a good book, like Pumping Insulin by John Walsh, would probably be just as good, if you're willing to read it carefully and work it through. I've heard good things about Gary Scheiner's Think Like a Pancreas, too, although I don't know if it specifically deals with pumping. I haven't read it, since I'm waiting for the new edition to come out in Nov. or Dec.
Another option would be to see if any of the MM classes are available in your area. I took a couple several years ago and they were useful. The best part is that unlike a 1-on-1 with a CDE, those classes took place in a group. That allows for better sharing of tips and tricks and to get those validated by an expert. It was really helpful for me to learn from the experiences of others and to add them to my routine.
Hi -- your last sentence is one I believe in after all these years. I feel like I just need to re-educate myself and learn more. That's where this forum and people like you come in -- I certainly know exactly what you described. I've always blamed myself for not getting "it" right. Last week I went from 461 to 23 in two hours. My body is tired and feels whipped!

Ruthie
461 to 23?!?!?!?! that must have been either the most painful drop ever or did not feel it at all. Did you pass out? I think a CGM you might be a good candidate for a CGM. My lowest is 36 that was around the time this post was written. But what did it feel Like to drop that fast? as of the 14th I use a minimed 523 and I love it. Prior to that I was suffering with the omnipod.
Yep -- I passed out, which is rare. My drops are frequent though. So I am really liking the CGM -- It has it's quirks, but I see my educator this morning, so hope to get some anwers.
I have been pumping for over 10 years and after about 5 years, i went back to shots for a little bit. I was really bad about testing, bad at counting carbs, etc.. so i went back to shots to get back into the good habits. After about a year and a half, i was testing 6-8 times a day and counting carbs like i was supposed to... got back into the good habits of how to do things. Then my dr. said that i was under the best control i could be with shots and it was time to go back to a pump. So i did! And i felt much better about it- i felt like i had better control over things. That was 5 years ago, and i'm glad i took that little break. I lose my motivation sometimes, but i get it back, and right now i'm doing good.

I don't get tired of being tethered to my pump and only took the break because i knew i needed a forced way to "get my game back". I knew i couldn't do a shot unless i knew what my blood sugar was, so in my case, that worked for me.

One thing i have learned, is that insulin works vvveeeeerrrrryyyyyyyyy ssssllllooowwwww. As diabetics we have to play a waiting game. It's not fun, and it's not easy, but it's what we do.

Hang in there Ruth!!
Hi Char,
I really appreciate your response. I know I'm not patient enough, so your reminder about the slowness of insulin is good. Maybe I need the break to get back on track also. I do test 6-8 times a day; and I trust the pump's correction, so that is what throws me off. I trust the pump and then I crash.

Thanks again for telling me your experience in going off.
If you trust the pump and then you crash, maybe your settings are wrong? Maybe you need different correction ratios at different times of day? Different insulin:carb ratios at different times of day, or different days of the week, for example on days you exercise, or on weekends? There are so many things to fuss with on the pump -- and if you're really insulin sensitive, small changes or errors can make HUGE differences. Do you have a CDE or experienced pump educator you can talk with about it? Good luck!!!!
Natalie,
After my last visit to the ER in an ambulance, being unconscience when my husband found me, I have met with my CDE and we have ordered the CGM that talks with my miniment pump.

I understand your suggestions and realize that my settings may need adjusting. And although I am getting the medical help, I needed to know if others have thought about "vacationing" from the pump. It really is good to hear from someone who knows what I'm talking about. I haven't talked to a diabetic in years! Hopefully the CGM will help us make the correct adjustments. (Although the pump vacation still seems like one option.)

Thanks!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service