Hey guys, haven't been on here in quite a while, but I know you are the best people to go to for advice on all things diabetes (beside my Endo of course lol)

Anyways, heres the problem, I turned 19 in October, and graduated from HS in June, so my state health insurance expired at the end of October. I have had type 1 Diabetes for a little over 10 years, but have ALWAYS had coverage. I got my Medtronic Paradigm 722 insulin pump in January of last year, and it's definitely the best decision I have ever made in my life. My A1C went from 8.something to now its 7.2, so I can't imagine ever going back to using a syringe. But as of right now it's looking like I have to, because we cannot afford the reservoirs and sets at over $150 a box, even if I leave the sets in a little longer.

So, my question to you is, is there any thing you can think of to help me? I have a prescription savings plan with Rite Aid, so my heart, kidney, liver etc meds are only about $5-10 a month each, and I applied and was approved for the Novo Nordisk financial aid, so I am good on insulin. But if you have a pump, or ever had, you know what I am dreading, I don't want to leave it.

Long story short, I need reservoirs, infusion sets, and possibly test strips if anyone knows of a place (I use True Test btw). Please, anything helps at this time, I have tried and called everywhere and anywhere I can think of.

Thanks,
Candy

Tags: financial, infusion, medtronic, need, reservoirs, sets

Views: 699

Replies to This Discussion

Call Minimed and ask if they can help you find a source for your supplies.

I have called Minimed, they only have a financial aid program for people that have insurance. Which, in my opinion, is the stupidest logic I've ever heard.

I'm sure it's not advisable, but I think you could re-use reservoirs and tubing a few times. The infusion sets are the real sticking point (no pun intended). I believe you can buy them without the tubing in the same package; it might save you a few bucks.

I also, sometimes, inject the leftover insulin in the reservoir or tubing back into the insulin vial when I change a set. It reduces some of the wasted insulin, and with a pump, there is a LOT of wasted insulin! I never "cross-contaminate" though; when going to a new vial of insulin, everything should be new.

I am on a ultra limited budget and I do reuse reservoirs and tubing and keep track of the usages with a "Sharpie" marker on the Resource.

I reuse tubing 3 times and I refill reservoirs for 3 Vials of Insulin. I inject the leftover insulin in the reservoir back into the insulin vialfill 4 Reservoirs at 1 time and keep them in old test strip containers.

I have always had good luck leaving my sets in a little longer, I can usually go up to 5 days before I start rejecting them, so for now I will try that, and perhaps refilling the reservoirs, as I can't see why reusing one, once, could hurt anything. Especially at the astronomical cost of each one.

how do you reuse tubing ? do you mean that you reuse a Quickset at new location? Same tubing for same reservoir at same Quickset site is easy enough.

If you're limited income, apply for your state's Medicaid program.

I'd also head over to the insulin-pumpers site. I know when I was in a bind and had to pay out of pocket for pump supplies they were able to help me out.

I have applied, the only people that are applicable are people that are unable to work, or those still in high school under 19. I will try insulin pumpers, thank you.

Hello Candace. Congrats on the graduation, and turning 19 (wish I was 19). I need some info from you to make an opinion. You do not have to answer to a stranger. Are you in school now or working? If you are working full time perhaps your employer has a health insurance plan. If not, a call to your county's health department is in order. Obviously going back to MDI is a bummer, but it's inexpensive comparing to a pump. You mentioned that your A1C is down and that's good. Try to get it down into the 6's.

I have read many posts from folks that are forced back to MDI when they lose a job, turn 65 and get on Medicare,etc. It is my hope that Obamacare will help someone like you to get proper medical care. A few friends of mine in Canada and the UK boast about their national health care plans, but I am skeptical about just how good they are.

For now, it looks like MDI is your only solution. You did that for a long time before you got the pump last year. Just one thing you must remember......"D" is a progressive disease. You have to control it anyway you can to live a long life. I have been successful for over 30 years.and am fine. Please let folks in the room join in your journey.

Mike In Maryland USA

I am not in school currently, but will be starting at a local community college in January. I do not work, so cannot get insurance that way, and neither of my parents have health coverage either. Anything you can suggest really is appreciated. I will try anything at this point.

I use the Mio, or Quikset.

I just remembered.... I think the Sure-T's (steel cannula) might be reusable as well. Also not advised, but when in a financial pinch, a couple of re-uses might save you some money.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service