Hey guys, haven't been on here in quite a while, but I know you are the best people to go to for advice on all things diabetes (beside my Endo of course lol)

Anyways, heres the problem, I turned 19 in October, and graduated from HS in June, so my state health insurance expired at the end of October. I have had type 1 Diabetes for a little over 10 years, but have ALWAYS had coverage. I got my Medtronic Paradigm 722 insulin pump in January of last year, and it's definitely the best decision I have ever made in my life. My A1C went from 8.something to now its 7.2, so I can't imagine ever going back to using a syringe. But as of right now it's looking like I have to, because we cannot afford the reservoirs and sets at over $150 a box, even if I leave the sets in a little longer.

So, my question to you is, is there any thing you can think of to help me? I have a prescription savings plan with Rite Aid, so my heart, kidney, liver etc meds are only about $5-10 a month each, and I applied and was approved for the Novo Nordisk financial aid, so I am good on insulin. But if you have a pump, or ever had, you know what I am dreading, I don't want to leave it.

Long story short, I need reservoirs, infusion sets, and possibly test strips if anyone knows of a place (I use True Test btw). Please, anything helps at this time, I have tried and called everywhere and anywhere I can think of.

Thanks,
Candy

Tags: financial, infusion, medtronic, need, reservoirs, sets

Views: 700

Replies to This Discussion

Joining to try to help you!

A lot of schools offer health insurance plans for students, and they are typically a lot cheaper than buying an individual plan. If you already qualify for financial aid for school, you might want to consider using some of it for insurance, so at least that way you are covered for medical supplies. For example, when I was first diagnosed, I was in grad school and living solely off unsubsidized federal loans. I had enough to pay for tuition, rent, groceries and health insurance for the year, so that's the only reason I was insured when I was diagnosed (thank goodness; I probably would have had hospital bills in the $10000s or something...). I hope this works out for you. I am just now getting a pump and I can only imagine how life changing it will be. Good luck!

Hi Mike,

Canada's health care is indeed a blessing for T1Ds living here. Our government pays for the pump 100% (and a new one every 5 years). And we get $2400/year for our supplies. I don't intend to boast, but I have to say our country has got it right in this respect. I very much hope that eventually our friends to the south will have a similar plan to rely on. No one should have to suffer with the financial burden in addition to the chronic illness itself.

Caroline
T1D (13 years), RN, Diabetes Educator

I didn't have insurance for a long time, so I feel your pain. Go to pcip.gov . My wife found it. It is pre-existing insurance plan. It's cheap, pays for supply's with a copay every 3 months. It's the best Insuance for any diabetic!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service