So my pump came in yesterday, and I had an appointment with my diabetes educator (doc) yesterday also. I thought I had to wait another week for pump training, but luckily my doc is also a Medtronic rep so she was able to train me and help me set my basal/bolus settings yesterday. She wanted me to get use to it still so she hooked it up to a saleen solution. I had it on from 12 noon yesterday to right now, so here are my thoughts for anybody that was wondering about it or anticipating getting one, and questions I have for those of you who have more experience....
- Inserting the infusion set wasn't as bad as I imagined...in fact, I felt nothing when inserting it into the side of my abdomen using the quick serter.
- Having the tubing tucked into my pants was not a bother, it really doesn't get in the way of anything. I have the 18" tubing.
- Sleeping with it was a little awkward, but nothing too bad. I think its just getting use to having it clipped on to my shorts and feeling it when I turn in bed.
- The only time I felt anything was when I bolused before a meal, I can feel the insulin being delivered. I won't say its painful, but theres enough action going on to notice theres a little pressure.
- As far as pain goes, sometimes the infusion set was a little sensitive when I touched it. Other times it I didn't feel anything.
So...my questions for all you pros
- Is it normal for the infusion site to be a little sensitive?
- Do you feel a little pain when your boluses are being delivered? I feel absolutely nothing when my basal is being delivered.
- What infusion sets do you use or have used and you feel is the most comfortable? I'm have the quick-sets.
Thanks for reading!