I got a new Revel 723 insulin pump 3 weeks ago. I found a nice little feature that no one talks about and that I stumbled on accidentally.

When you have the CGM active, you start a new sensor and you need to wait for 2 hours for warm up. If you go to start new sensor before the time runs out on your current sensor, there is only a 5 min warm up, even though it says you will wait for 2 hours. I think it is awesome since I reuse the same sensor at least twice. I get no gaps in data this way. The sensors usually work best on the second time around anyway, I'm not sure if this is a bug or a nicely added feature that they just don't tell us about. I know my current software allows me to have my meter send results automatically, which previous pumps did not allow when using the CGM. Maybe this was included.
I'm afraid to mention it to customer support for fear they will "fix" it.

Has anyone else done this, or know anything about it?
Or does anyone know other hidden tricks on this pump?

Views: 466

Replies to This Discussion

I do this all the time - I assume it comes quicker since the sensor is already 'wet' - I always use my sensor twice (so I change once every 6 days) - when I go longer it usually dies soon but it is a definate nice part of the 'second' use each week!

I have the MM722 and it's been this way for years for me.

I do this (my trainer, who is a CDE but not a Medtronic rep) taught me.

The reasoning is that the transmitter needs to have 2 hours of "warm-up" history in it, not the pump. Second time around, it's already got the two-hour history.

Oftentimes I'll insert the sensor into my body and connect the transmitter, but will not do the "Start new sensor" until it's a good time for an initial calibration (at least two hours away). If I let the pump tell me when my calibration is due, it might be in the middle of a meal or a steep BG swing. If I can do it on my own terms, at my own time, I know my BG is level and that the calibration is a good one. Usually, I'll insert a new sensor at night and calibrate (Start New Sensor) when I wake up. Yes, that means I go through the night "unproctected", but I know my level is pretty normal when I wake up.

Yes. The only odd thing is that the sensors are only approved by the FDA for 3 days, The fact that we can use them twice or 3 times is really off the recommended usage. This is why I am surprised that the pump allows us to skip the warm up on the second round, My Trainer told me that it is a big "no no" and I do so at my own risk. I say HA !! . It works far better on the second round than on the first.

The whole reason I got the CGM was so I could go to bed with normal glucose levels and not have to worry about waking up dead in the morning. I was going to bed in the 150s before, Now I can got to bed at 90 or 100 and not worry.

I do that all the time. I think Medtronic's new Elite is supposed to last longer. Sometime this year.

I use Dexcom now, but when I used to use MM 522 w/CGMS I always restarted to get 6+ days, and there is only 2 hour wait on a 'real' new sensor. Unfortunately Dexcom does force a 2 hour wait on a 'restart'.

For MM, sometimes I would do a calibration just prior to the 'end of sensor' (time shown on status screen). Then do a (re)start new sensor within 5 min. My recollection is that it didn't even ask for another calibration. Just started to show readings within a few minutes of the restart.

I'm new to the CGM by Medtronic and was wondering how it is you use the same sensor twice - do you just leave it in the same spot? The sensor psychology is not quite making sense to me.

You leave it in, you tell your pump that you have a new sensor and I can't tell the difference.
I use mine for 6 days and dump it weather or not it is still working.

Thanks for the great tip, Timothy. I was disconnecting the sensor from transmitter after getting a Sensor End, then reconnecting. Thanks.

The length issue has more to do with liability than performance, I suspect. I can't tolerate the sensor longer than 6 days. After the second round it has to go.

If MM recommends not doing it and you use it longer than recommended its your liability not theirs... Others may find that they can't tolerate the sensor longer than 3 days.

Tom

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service