who has the best ideas for a fast cure to low bs ?? I seem to over do it sometimes especially when I'm crashing hard , I know they say 15 grams of carbs n wait 15 min ... but its kinda hard to follow this rule when ur dropping n I really hate glucose tabs !!

Views: 312

Replies to This Discussion

Hey! I couldn't agree more, waiting for a low to pas is hard, specially if you are at work or somewhere where you can't just sit and do nothing for 15 minutes.

What I always carry with me are those small boxes with milk and chocolate powder mixed together you know? im not from the us, so im not sure how you call those in English. For me, it's the fastest thing available that you can carry with you without any problems.

The tiny tube of cake icing works great....Squirt it between the cheek and teeth and it absorbs great...After BS comes up then eat the 15gms to hold you and does yourself. The icing is a quick carb and for me usually is out (not throwing my sugars to far off by the time I eat and dose)

the best i have found for myself is a glass of OJ or a bowl of cereal. That gets me back to the normal range quick...( if there is a normal anymore) lol

I usually go with OJ, Airheads or Skittles for my lows depending on if I am at home or not. I do keep some gluoco-gel type stuff on hand for extreme lows because it works so much faster but is expensive.
I know the wait 15 is super hard, but I have found that when I am feeling the panic of wanting to eat everything in sight, I try to go for low carb snacks like a spoonful of peanut butter, some cheese, something along those lines. I know it can slow the sugar absorption but it keeps me from eating a whole bag of crackers, 5 cups of cereal 20 Oreo's etc that minimizes the rebound highs later on.

How you treat a low really depends on when you're low. If I'm low and have no insulin on board, I treat only to raise my BG. If I'm low and have insulin on board, then I obviously need to factor that in.

Here's the my basic idea: If my BG is 50 and I want to raise it to 80ish then I need 14g of carbs (1 gram dextrose = 2.25 points on my BG). I think it's a total waste of time to use anything other than the purist form of dextrose you can find, so Glucose tabs or gel are my first option. I personally don't like either all that much so I use Smarties candy (which are basically pure dextrose). Since Smarties are 6g of carbs, I'd go ahead and use 3 packages to treat the scenario above. I generally only have this kind of low (with no Insulin on board) in the middle of the night, so I really enjoy being able to wake up, test, treat, and go back to sleep knowing I'll wake up in the morning right where I need to be.

If I do have insulin on board for the scenario above, I'd go ahead and add another form of carbs, like juice or even a cookie, to take care of the insulin. That means that if I am at 50 and have 2 units on board, I'd generally have 2 packs of Smarties to get me out of the weeds and into the 70's and then add 16g of a little more complex carb to cover the insulin. In this case I would tend to retest just to make sure everything was happening the way I want.

The big deal for me is knowing that my "treatment" is going to work, which makes waiting a whole lot easier and also helps fight the tempation to over-treat. The fact that I can literally start feeling better in as little as ten minutes with Smarties (the dextrose begins to absorb in your mouth), also makes waiting much easier.

Despite medical advice to the contrary I consume a 12 oz can of coke and try to wait it out. This has been my immediate cure of choice in hospitals, restaurants, bedside - most everywhere. I use it when I am guilty of waiting too long to treat the oncoming hypo and my low is pretty intense. The coke is faster acting than anything else I've tried or been given short of glucagon. This is usually accompanied by 2-4 peanut butter and crackers, which I try to bolus for, to tide me over. Then check frequently to rein it all in. It is my response to night time, sleep disturbing attacks. It slows down the anxious, frantic feelings from the falling blood sugar - before the need for glucagon. Remember to plan ahead for these attacks. Have your glucose gel, tablets coke , whatever at your bedside. Don't procrastinate in reacting. Prepare your mates on what to do if you become unable to take care or yourself.

Any of the cheap candies w/ dextrose as the first ingredient will act the same as the gluco tabs. I keep "Runts" around my desk & purse.

Also the little bags of fruit snacks (By Welch or store brands) have about 15-20 gm of carb. At least when you use it you know how much you've eaten and it helps eliminate grazing the cupboard. They're also easy to have in your bag.

First I suspend the pump. My CDE (also a Type I) stated the obvious "continuing to pump insulin into your body when you are having a low because of too much insulin is dumb."

Second, she suggested using cake icing. Instead of the squirt and swallow that I did without thinking, she said to try to hold it between my cheek and gum and press the outside of my mouth where it was with my hand. The idea is to absorb as much of the sugar as possible inside the mouth where the tissues of the cheeks and gums tend to begin the digestion process anyway. You are going to swallow it anyway, but this gets the increase in BG started a little bit faster. One drawback to the icing tubes is that it is hard to get the contents (which tend to be pretty thick) out of that little hole rapidly. When I am having a nasty low I'll cut off the other end that is crimped with a pair of scissors.

Third, it isn't engraved in stone that you have to wait 15 minutes before checking again. You can do it earlier to see which way your BG is going - just don't treat for it until after that period has passed. Personally, I will sometimes jump the gun if I am really low and by myself where the opportunity for somebody to come to the rescue is not available.

Fourth, once I'm back on the rise I take my pump off SUSPEND - usually once I am above 80 and trending up. After that I check every 30 minutes until my next meal just to make sure the rebound is not a surprise or off the charts.

I hope this helps.

Interesting. When I started on the pump, I asked my CDE if I should suspend the pump when low. She said not to -- the basal (at that low a rate) takes a long enough time to work that it wouldn't benefit me at all. I can't suspend the basal 15 minutes retroactively, and to suspend it now would only take away from my basal needs 15 minutes later, after I've already recovered from the low.

Perhaps she was being overly cautious (in fear that I might forget to "un-suspend" it and go into DKA), but the logic makes sense unless we're talking about those persistent lows that I just can't seem to shake.

I got the same advice as Scott... not to suspend because the insulin is mostly acting later and a pretty small quantity.

Clif bar gel shots!They are the goo type thing athletes eat while running. 35 grams carbs, very predictable, liquid form, travel well anywhere, and start to work fast. Suck one down, know exactly how much carbs you are getting. Chill for about 5 minutes and feel grounded again promptly. I like vanilla, not to strong or intense. Kinda taste like frosting on cake.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service