Hi all,

I was diagnosed as type 1 in December, and my doctor says that I'm good to go for a pump. My partner is also type 1 (crazy, I know), and has a minimed Paradigm.

What do you love about your pump, wish it did better, and what don't you like about it? What would you recommend I look into as I research pumps?

Thanks SO so much :)

Janie

Views: 1002

Replies to This Discussion

Congratulations. I have been on the Revel for a month and love it. Was not sure about the tubing either (love the idea of tubeless but heard too many negatives of the Omnipod failing and causing high sugars.

I have already seen improvement in my sugars as I also have "brittle" diabetes and always had trouble controlling my sugars requiring 10 shots per day.

Good luck!!!

Hello. I have just completed my first 24 hours using the pump. I initally attached it to my abdomen. I think the next time, I will insert it on my upper thigh, just to see the difference.
I put it up inside of my bra for a bit, but I like it better clipped to my waistband. (No pockets today.) I can see the benefits of wearing it in my bra, but everytime I need to bolus, I have to take it out. So, I prefer wearing it on my waistband for that reason.

hello! i also will be starting on the pump ( revel 723, and cgm ) I should be recieveing it today. Will be takeing a class here in a couple weeks march 19 to learn about it. Have learned alot about it through every ones discussions in this group (very helpfull) Im looking forward to even better control of my diabetes!

Good Luck Dave with your new pump.
Definetly, the online videos are helpful. Make sure you ask as many questions as you can with the instructor. I found out that they are pretty much - Dont ask dont tell. The first few days will be a learning curve but once you get used to it, you will be on top of your diabetes management.

Hi Janie:

My first pump, medtronic revel, will arrive tomorrow. I was excited but now I'm getting a little nervous. I'm sure all will be well after I get more education on using the pump. The folks on here are great sources of info. I'll definitely be looking to them as I begin my journey.

Best of luck

You definetly will.. I started with my pump about a month ago and was in the same situation.. Once its been a couple of weeks and a few email with the Diabetes educator, you will be more confident.

I love the onmipod and the no tubing concept. I surf with it and workout without ever having to worry about a long tube attached to me. It works great for my lifestyle.

I started using the MM 723 about a month ago thinking that the tubing will be an issue. I was very inclined towards getting the omnipod instead. I do love my pump even though it has the tubing. For workouts and other activites, I disconnect my pump coz the workout is enough to maintain my BS levels.. works for me and also is a personal choice.

I have been wearing my Revel for almost a month and I am doing great! There have been a couple of hiccups, but nothing major. I use a lot less insulin with the pump than I did with the MDI. I have made several set changes. All without incident. So far, so good. I am looking for a sharps container with larger openings to accomodate the Quick Set and that inserter needle (once folded, it does not fit in the standard sharps container hole easily). I have ordered and received a SpiBelt, but I have not worn it for a full day yet. I still have a couple of online videos to watch at the Medtronic site. Just wanted to update and get some feedback.

Go to your ER and pick up a hospital one. In Florida they have to give us hospital sharps containers and take our full ones back. I was told that it is the law in all states but I don't know for sure! The hospital ones hold a lot more and accomodate all shapes/sizes!

Get a variety of infusion sets from pump company and try them all,I like sure-tI am thin, but a personal decision for you to make.

I'm just going to say, "I LOVE MY PUMP!" Paradigm 723. Sugars are soooooo much better controlled and I use a lot less insulin!!!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service