Hi all,

I was diagnosed as type 1 in December, and my doctor says that I'm good to go for a pump. My partner is also type 1 (crazy, I know), and has a minimed Paradigm.

What do you love about your pump, wish it did better, and what don't you like about it? What would you recommend I look into as I research pumps?

Thanks SO so much :)

Janie

Views: 988

Replies to This Discussion

I find the same to be true for me jujube! Isn't it great!

Hi Janie,
I personally have the Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm it works pretty good in that it holds a good bit of insulin in the resevoir that it uses (3mL).I like that it gives you different alerts audio and vibration also when you are running low etc. It communicates remotely to my meter so I don't have to put in my BG manually although I can if I want to. It has a backlight which is handy when I'm in a dark room like the movie theater.
What I don't like is that its about the size of a pager so wearing it with certain clothes can get tricky when you are trying to hide it. I don't like to use the Quick set infusion because its a litle plastic needle that is inserted into you instead of a metal one which I found for me the metal one is less painful, more comfortable to wear, and easier to insert manually myself ( I hate being stapled suddenly with the infusion set I'd rather ease it in slowly).I found to often that the plastic ones will get bent in me if I somehow apply preasure on it from sitting or sometimes from moving and then it no longer delivers insulin, which then causes my BG to get really high.
I don't know if that helps you any but I would also say that when you are at your doctors office, they are usually well supplied with samples try the different infusion sets to see which one works and feels good to you. See which is most easiest for you to insert yourself because I will be honest with you, the Quick Set infusion set I have is like a giant lancet to me and I just cannot do it to myself no matter how hard I try, I just can't push the buttons to release it because it always hurts. But give me the Sure-T infusion set and I have no problems super easy metal needle, short, worth checking out! Don't forget to ask about cost because unfortunately insurance doesn't cover everything and the last thing you want is more out-of-pocket expenses.
Again I hope this helps...Good-Luck!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service