hi,

My name is Gabriella I am 16 years old and I started using minimed 10-14-11. I use the pink Mio 32 inch tubing 6mm canula. I really like it and it does NOT hurt AT ALL. I am horified by the silhouette because it looks terrifying and I tried it once and it was extremely painful and came out within a half hour. But that was prior to pumping with minimed. (At camp everybody tries a site) I love my minimed. For me it was a gift of life. My life was ruled by diabetes with the omnipod. I know it works for some people but I have a feeling it does because they do know enough about all the different pumps and how much better they are. I have read many stories on here (not just my own LOL) about how the switch from omnipod to minimed was better over the years. I suffered with the omnipod. 33 days of near DKA/DKA. because the pod almost never alarms when it fails. enough about the omnipod! My sister's life was almost taken by the omnipod-fidelis no longer covers omnipod for ANYONE. see her story coming later. I pretty much know everything on pump operation due to hours spent watching youtube videos and years at diabetes camp and tutorials on minimed.com.

My questions:

1. Where do you wear your pump when wearing a dress (not bra)
2. What site do you use and why/ have you tried others/how long is your tubing/canula/site rotation?
3. Is the silhouette as scary as my first and only experience?
4. how do you like the sure-t
5. when traveling through the airport and I disconnect so they can inspect my pump do I suspend.
6. do I put my pump in the luggage thing scanner
7. where should I put my site in the airpport
8. Do all minimeds set off the security alarm.
9. how do you cut a hole for the mio for tegederm (over)
10. is the cap necessary for shower/swimming
11. pump belt for a 16 year old?
12. Do airport TSA usually go through the site/reservoir bag?
13. How many site do I bring for a trip to florida from thursday night to sunday.
14. can I swim in the ocean with a site in
15. can I get different sites in my shipment like a box of mio's/sure-t's and quiksets? I usually get 4 boxes per shipment.
16. does anyone wear their site in their butt?/ where do you wear yours?
17. if you do need a pump replacement within your warranty time of 4 years can you get a different color?
18. do you have to fill canula with the mio even if you already prime the site and drops come out at the canula prior to insertion?
19. Do you change your site every 2 or 3 days
20. are these questions insane?

thankyou I would really appreciate a response (one person does not have to answer all of them)

Thanks tudiabetes.org for the best support anyonew could ask for!

Views: 593

Replies to This Discussion

I'll take the Silhouette one....no, it isnt that scary but then again I use the shorter canula one so there is less needle to deal with. My CDE friend taught me to insert them free hand and I have been using them now for 11 years. I hardly ever, and I mean never, have a bad set that needs tossing.
I still dont like looking at them, but I felt it was much easier than messing with any other set and I needed the angled ones due to being thin.

I have a leg thing available from the Medtronic store which goes around my calf. There is also a thigh thing. But one girl I know wears a pair of jogging shorts under her dress, and clips the pump upside down to the bottom of the leg of the shorts. When I have a dress with pockets, I cut a small hole in the inside of the pocket seam and run the tubing through that, because I like to have my pump in my pocket anyway.

2. What site do you use and why/ have you tried others/how long is your tubing/canula/site rotation?

I use a 43" tubing because I like to be able to set my pump on the bed when I change clothes, and it can stay in my pocket when I use the restroom. But if you use the shorter tubing, you can always disconnect when you change clothes. Being off the pump for 3 minutes isn't going to hurt you.

Yes and no. I used to insert it by hand, and I would touch the needle to my skin gently in order to find a place that didn't hurt, and then, when I did, I would slide it in slowly and it was not painful. I like the fact that the Sils have a little window, but in general, I like the Quicksets better.

Never tried it.

5. when traveling through the airport and I disconnect so they can inspect my pump do I suspend.

I have never disconnected while flying. I just tell them I have a pump, and they just tell me to run my hands over my pump, and then swab my hands.

Nope. Don't even disconnect. See question #5.

7. where should I put my site in the airport

Not sure what you mean by this. I have offered to show them my sites (I have a CGM, too), and they always say it's OK. But I have always worn my sites in my belly, for over 12 years now.

I have never had it set off the alarm.

IV3000 came out with a dressing that has a little hole in it for infusion sets. So that's what I use. If you have to use Tegaderm because of allergies or something, you can fold it in quarters and just cut off the corner that has no edges.

I think it's better to use it, although I know some people don't.

I've never used one, but you can look at the Medtronic store, and also google "insulin pump belts" if you want to use one. I don't know if you want to use one if you're usually in jeans or pants with pockets. I just tuck it in my pocket. If I'm wearing pants or a skirt without pockets, I just clip it to the waistband. But then I'm totally unashamed to be wearing a pump, and if anyone sees it, I don't care, and if they ask, I answer. But you may feel differently. :-)

Not recently, in my experience. It used to happen a lot more often in the early days of pumps!

13. How many site do I bring for a trip to florida from thursday night to sunday.

Totally up to you. Sites CAN fail, so bringing a couple extra wouldn't hurt!

Yes, but be sure to use the cover, because you have to disconnect. An hour disconnected shouldn't hurt you, but talk with your doc or CDE about how to adjust your insulin for time disconnected.

15. can I get different sites in my shipment like a box of mio's/sure-t's and quiksets? I usually get 4 boxes per shipment.

That depends on your insurance. Talk to Medtronic about it. My insurance won't allow it, but I'm happy with the Quicksets. If you're really not sure what set you want to use, ask for samples, so you can try them out before you order.

Some people wear theirs in their upper back of the hip. It's hard to reach there, but apparently easier with the Mio. I've never tried it there.

17. if you do need a pump replacement within your warranty time of 4 years can you get a different color?

Talk to Medtronic about that.

18. do you have to fill canula with the mio even if you already prime the site and drops come out at the canula prior to insertion?

I think you're talking about 2 different things here. First you have to prime the tubing without being connected, and you know it's full because you see drops coming out of the connector. Then you connect up, and have to do another prime to fill the cannula that is inside you. Have you had your pump training? They should explain that to you.

Depends on you. Some people need to change every 2 days, and others go longer. It depends on how your skin reacts. The most important issue is not to get an infection.

Of course!! If you weren't insane before, I guarantee that getting diabetes has driven you crazy!! :-)
Wow you answered every single one! thankyou so much! BIG HELP. Yes diabetes has driven me crazy! I am at school right now and this morning I was 35 and was acting like a neanderthal and yelled at a teacher who told me to stop moaning because 35 is not that low/significant of a number. I have very little recolection of it and she wrote me up. the vice principal completely understood-we are very close and completely disreguarded it and kind of explained to the teacher that it is completely normal for me to act like that when I am low. The teacher acts like a 5 year old and is incompetant. anyway it was so nice to read this! it really helped. this reply is for everyone that responded!
Hi - Answering the ones I have comments on.

2. What site do you use and why/ have you tried others/how long is your tubing/canula/site rotation? I use my tummy for the site, I find it comfortable. I use the longer tubing (43, 32 length) because then I can set the pump on the bed while changing without disconnecting...usually don't, but I can. I've tried the shorter tubing and it's ok, I just like the longer tubing.

4. how do you like the sure-t? I've only used the Quickset and the Mio. Quickset is my favorite.

5. when traveling through the airport and I disconnect so they can inspect my pump do I suspend? I wouldn't disconnect. I would only suspend if I disconnect for more than a half hour, my basal is pretty small so I wouldn't be missing too much but I guess if you're going to miss a bunch in a short amount of time suspending would be the thing to do...I've tried suspending and I usually forget to un-suspend so I stopped doing that.

6. do I put my pump in the luggage thing scanner? No keep it attached to you. I think Minimed has a tip sheet on their web site about airport security with the pump.

9. how do you cut a hole for the mio for tegederm (over)? Do you need to do this for allergy reasons? I've never used the tegaderm with a pump site.

10. is the cap necessary for shower/swimming? I don't use it when taking showers but if swimming or hot tub or anything where you'll get water into the site you're supposed to put it on to keep the water out of the site.

11. pump belt for a 16 year old? I've never used one. I wear pants often and just stick it into my front pocket.

13. How many site do I bring for a trip to florida from thursday night to sunday. You never know when you'll have a streak of bad luck so always take at least 2 extra of everything.

14. can I swim in the ocean with a site in - I think so, but I never have. Remember the cap thing.

15. can I get different sites in my shipment like a box of mio's/sure-t's and quiksets? I usually get 4 boxes per shipment. - I have been able to get a variety. I am allowed 4 boxes so I have selected 2 of the Quicksets and 2 different Mios but I guess some insurances may not allow this. Be careful when ordering from the web site, the first time I went to order I ordered the wrong stuff and luckily I had called (for another reason) and discovered by talking about the order that I got the wrong thing. Ever since then I've been fine using the online store.

16. does anyone wear their site in their butt?/ where do you wear yours? I've only used my tummy.

18. do you have to fill canula with the mio even if you already prime the site and drops come out at the canula prior to insertion? I think the purpose of 'filling the canula' is to fill the space where the needle is, so once it's removed you would still need to fill the canula.

19. Do you change your site every 2 or 3 days? I change every 3 days, I think this is something you'll figure out as you go.
My daughter switched from the Omnipod to the Revel just like yours and also uses the Mio 6mm. When she was on Omnipod the only site she could use was her backside. She did not like the Omnipod because it felt so cumbersome for her little body.
She loves her minimed revel and uses her tummy for the sites (which she is so thrilled to do.)

She also wears dresses all of the time. I make 2 button holes on either side just above her waistline. I purchases pump packs and pump bands. Here are 2 different places to try: www.pumpwearinc. ; and on eBay there is a site called pumptastic. I bought the pump pack with the clear see through window and it is just perfect!
I am still waiting (after 2 weeks) for my pump paks to come in from pumpwear inc (can't wait!) but I did get my pump bands from them and they are perfect for wearing under or over your dresses. They even make them for your arm or legs. Mary does not like the leg band, it slips down too much.
Since I can sew, I can easily make my own pump bands now, (which saves me money).
If you need any help in sewing something, just contact me. I can help you if you need.
Pump wear inc. also has a lot of videos on their products. It is definitely worth it to look at! I love their stuff and plan to order some Holiday pump paks for Mary.
Wow I would really appreciate your help. also thanks for your response!
Hi Gabby. My name is Mike and I use the Revel with Sensors. Let me put in a few answers to your questions as well. I have been on a pump for about five years. I have had "D" for thirty years. My reply:
1. can't answer that one. I'm a guy !
2. I use my abdomen only. That's where you get the best absorption rate. My QuickSet is 43" long and I change sites every four days.
3. Can't answer about Silhouettes. Never tried them.
4. Can't answer about Sure-T. Never tried them. I have tried the Mio, but there are many steps to insert it properly.
5. Don't disconnect at the airport and don't suspend. They most likely will pat you down privately if you wish.You are not required to disconnect. If they insist, ask to speak to their supervisor.
6. Since you don't disconnect, you don't have to put it in a scanner bin.
7. I would wear the pump in my pocket. Show them you have a medical device and cannot turn it off for any reason.
8. If you are talking about airport alarms, it could set off an alarm. Of course, you most likely will be patted down.
9.I don't use Tagaderm, but I use a pre cut product called IV3000. It is made by Smith & Nephew. Product number is #66800786. Call the company and request samples.They cost about $25.00 for a box of 30.
10. I do use the cap on my Quick Set when I shower/swimming. It keeps water, dirt, sand, etc.out of the site. Best to use it to prevent an infection.
11.A belt is OK if you want to conceal it from your friends. But I would be open about "D" to your friends and your teachers at school. A good idea is to get a MedicAlert bracelet. They come in many styles MedicAlert.com. I use a leg strap to conceal it when dressing formally.
12. TSA will go through everything in your carry on bag. When away from home take double of everything. Don't put anything in checked baggage. Take extra batteries and your insulin in a spare vial with syringes. Every state has different laws regarding insulin and supplies. You can also get a loaner from MiniMed in case of pump failure at a resonable cost and return it later.
Check out tsa.gov. 13. I would take about four of everything on a four day trip. Most likely you will be very active and you don't want to mess up your vacation.
14. Sure go swimming in the ocean. Disconnect and have fun. Cover the site. Don't let salt water near your pump. Salt water is bad news. Place it in a zip loc bag (not in the Sun) and reconnect when you get out of the water. Do a fingerstick after you reconnect to be sure everything is OK.
15. I'm sure your doctor can answer that one. Usually a prescription is required for infusion sets. I don't think your doctor will let you switch different sets. Call Minimed and request samples. Everybody likes different sets. Use the one you are most comfortable with.
16. I don't use my butt, some do, but put it up high so you can sit normally. If you wear tight pants, it will show through!
17. That's a question for Minimed customer service. I do know that you can change color if you have a pump malfunction. You can also get stickers to decorate your pump. Go to Medtronic.com. Remember, Minimed customer service is 24/7.
18. Since you primed the pump before insertion the cannula is already filled and you can skip the prime function. Check two hours later to make sure your new Mio is working OK.
19. I change my site every four days. If it looks red or hurts change it right away regardless how long it has been in. Your immune system has been compromised and you don't want an infection. And always wash your hands before changing an infusion set.
20. Your questions tell me you are very responsible for taking care of yourself. The only person that can help you is you. I got used to it at an early age and don't let "D" boss me around.

Hope these comments are helpful. YOU are in control.....and see your doc every few months. The A1C test will tell you how well you are doing. Best regards.

Mike

Hi Gabby. It's wonderful that the Minimed is working for you. Glad to hear it. Here are my responses.

I never wear a bra, but never a dress either. Sorry.

Abdomen almost all the time. Occasionally I've used the upper part of my backside (higher than the part I would sit on), but that usually gets irritated more quickly, so it's generally reserved for summers when I might be swimming and not wearing a shirt, or times when I need to give my abdomen time to heal from all of the insulin and CGM pokes. Tubing is the longer one (40-something...43 inch I think?) - I began with the shorter and went to the longer one rather quickly. It makes it easier when getting dressed and using the bathroom. Also, for sleeping, when the pump inevitably falls out of my pajama pocket, wherever it lands still provides enough slack so it doesn't tug at me. I use the shorter cannula (not sure what the length is) that's available on the Silhouette

I'm a "slow-poke", meaning I press the needle against the skin and insert it slowly to be sure I don't hit a "bad spot". It's not scary when done manually (to me), but the inserter device can certainly cause nightmares.

Can't even imagine having a piece of metal in me full-time. I feel like it would restrict movement. So I've never tried it. But those who do seem to have only positive things to say.

Nah... I don't even disconnect it. Last time I flew, I took it out to show the screener and his response was "put that thing away!". There's a long thread on here about flying with a pump from about a month ago. Lots of good info there if you search for it. I don't suspend.

I keep it in my pocket or in my hand. But, I admit, I've never been through a full-body scanner, just the regular metal detectors. But I'm told you shouldn't send it through the X-ray machine.

7. where should I put my site in the airpport
Meaning where on your body? It shouldn't matter. But if you need to disconnect for any reason, it's easiest to pull the reservoir out and hand them the pump (without the reservoir), rather than disconnecting from the other end. Leave the infusion site and the tubing alone.

Mine never did.

Can't help, I don't use tegederm

Assuming you mean the cap at the infusion site? I say no for showering and swimming pools. If going to the beach or somewhere that may have sand, I'd put it on. I once went to the beach without it (disconnected to swim), and had a hard time reconnecting because of all the sand that had gotten in the clip-part of it.

I've heard of the Spibelt, but I use a cell-phone holder clipped to my belt.

Not in my experience. But if they want to, warn them that there may be sharp objects in there because of the needles. They'll probably do it very quickly (if at all) because they don't want to take the chance.

I'd take double what you normally would use in that time. This way, in case you have an irritated site that you need to replace or if your flight is delayed, you can get through it. It's important to know if you're leaving on Day 1 or Day 3 of the current infusion set, though.

Medtronic isn't waterproof, so see my answer to #10. There are containers which are said to be waterproof, but I tend to find them bulky (or just don't have the right one). I'm not the best one to answer this for you.

Ask Medtronic. They'll probably check with your doctor first, so make sure he/she is on-board with it.

See my answer to #2

I believe Medtronic will try to get the color you want, but can't guarantee it. It will likely never come up, though, so don't worry about it of you don't need to.

If the Mio is like other infusion sets, every time you change the set you need to prime/fill-cannula. So if you change tubing and not the set, then no. If you change the set and not the tubing, then yes. You will never see drops coming out of the cannula because it will already be inserted in you.

3... but sometimes even 4 (or 4 1/2), though it gets irritated and sometimes less effective by then.

Not at all, but your use of the term "site" is confusing... generally the part that sticks to your body (and penetrates the skin) is considered the infusion set, or just the "set". The site is the location on your body that you choose to use, You don't deliver, carry, or use multiple sites.

Hey Gabby, I actually travel for a living..I never remove the pump and I keep my syringes, extra insulin and all supplies in a carryon bag. I do carry 2 extra of what I will need.. I carry the medtronic card with me and a prescription from my doctor that states I am an insulin dependent diabetic and required to have all my supplies at all times. When TSA starts questioning me , I just pull out the prescription which I had laminated and there are no more questions asked. (It really depends on the airport if they question you or not) Do not go in the scanner with the pump and they will wand you down. I also pre-board and let the flight attendants know what seat I am in and what to do if I became unconscious...Because I do travel every week, some already know me very well. I think that it is important so no one is pouring orange juice down my throat, instead, I have my little tube of cake icing and I tell them to squeeze it in my cheek.. I live in Florida and swimming is a huge part of my life. I do put the cap on when I go into salt water, I also keep my minimed in a plastic bag under a towel to keep the salt water, sand and sun away from it. As for surfing, well I didn't do it before T1 so I am not planning on doing it after..LOL... I have not had any problems with it at the beach. I do wear it on my backside (my husband and son will help when I do use that site) during bikini weather but usually I use my abdomen and then attach it to my bra..It's just easier for me. If I am wearing a bra-less dress, then I use a leg belt....Hope this helps and have fun on your trip!
To answer your questions as best as I can.. I use the Revel 723...which is the same as yours, just holds more insulin...

1. Where do you wear your pump when wearing a dress (not bra)..I wear my pump on a garter like elastic on my thigh..
2. What site do you use and why/ have you tried others/how long is your tubing/canula/site rotation?I use my belly in clocklike rotation..but i have been known to use my arm or rear.
3. Is the silhouette as scary as my first and only experience?I have never used anything but Quick Sets and Mios
4. how do you like the sure-t..never used it.
5. when traveling through the airport and I disconnect so they can inspect my pump do I suspend. I never suspend my pump..even when I go to the endo and they ask me to disconnect so they can connect my pump to the carelink.
6. do I put my pump in the luggage thing scanner..Yes..they insist you do..and it does not harm it.
7. where should I put my site in the airpport..somewhere you can disconnect easy enough.. if you use the belly rotation it shoud be fine.
8. Do all minimeds set off the security alarm. I don't know, and i don't take a chance/
9. how do you cut a hole for the mio for tegederm (over)..I don't, it holds well enough by itself.. does not require anything.
10. is the cap necessary for shower/swimming..NEVER USE THEM.. I always forget.. I have not died yet in 4 years
11. pump belt for a 16 year old? I just clip to whatever...never really use belt clip.
12. Do airport TSA usually go through the site/reservoir bag? ??? I don't think so
13. How many site do I bring for a trip to florida from thursday night to sunday. 3 in case any go bad or you bolus more..also bring 2 bottles of insulin.. I have lost botttles before
14. can I swim in the ocean with a site in...yes, just disconnect pump and enjoy.
15. can I get different sites in my shipment like a box of mio's/sure-t's and quiksets? I usually get 4 boxes per shipment. Yes, I get quick sets and a box of pink and a box of blue Mios.
16. does anyone wear their site in their butt?/ where do you wear yours? I sometimes do, but with the sensor it is sort of a pain.and it is really in the fleshy part ABOVE your butt..
17. if you do need a pump replacement within your warranty time of 4 years can you get a different color? yes..I went from purple to pink..
18. do you have to fill canula with the mio even if you already prime the site and drops come out at the canula prior to insertion? YES
19. Do you change your site every 2 or 3 days I change mine every day and a half, but I am on a very large dosage of insulin..
20. are these questions insane?NO, you are new to Minimed.. they are common.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service