Has anyone ever noticed a post site change high, even with the .3 prime? If so, do you prime more than that or what do you do? I saw some posts about it happening with Omnipod users. It doesn't happen all the time but seems like fairly often.

Views: 205

Replies to This Discussion

This is VERY common. It has to do with slow insulin absorption with the new site. I actually get incredibly high post site change without lots of planning. My endo says some people have different rates of absorption with a site change and I must be one of the people that has very resistant tissue at first!

So this is what I have to do:
Temp basal rate of 140% for 1 hour before changing site.
Change site, .5 fixed prime. Immediately set a 2 hour temp basal for 200%. That usually does it. I'll check 1-1.5 hours in and reduce or cancel the temp basal if I notice numbers in range that early.

I also never bolus immediately after changing the site--for me that's a recipe for a disastrous high. I try to wait 2 hours. So I'll bolus on the old site, eat breakfast, then change the site, so by lunch I'll be able bolus on the new site.

For me it's really quite a production!

David has always used a prime that is slightly higher than the recommended prime. He uses an MM pump and after reading about post site change highs on tudiabetes and how a number of users have dealt with that by increasing the set change fixed prime, he increased his fixed prime, and has kept it increased the past couple years.

I have inconsistent post change highs, so I have not been able to give a set formula. I try never to change at night so I can test frequently. I use a .5 prime not a .3. I try to do it prior to a meal, but also to be sure that the site is "good" before eating and bolusing. After having diabetes over 30 years, some sites just don't work well, and I have been known to struggle with multiple site changes,manual injections, and high sugars. I just do my best each time. I test within 30 minutes of inserting, to see which way I am trending. if high, I treat, then check again in 30 minutes. I know that is not much time, but I can see if I am at least going up or down. If I am still high or going higher, I will usually wait about one more house, then start again. It wastes a lot of time, and I am grateful on the changes that do take, are not uncomfortable, and last a few days.
iddm-1979 pumping 10 years, all systems go with a few small exceptions :-)

Yep, I fought this for the first few months I was on the pump. After consulting with my CDE (who has been pumping for years) and finding out she uses a much larger prime to combat this, I have ended up with a prime of 2.2. I had pretty consistent highs, so my adjustment was fairly easy - I knew the standard .3 prime was leaving me at about 160 mg/dl 4 hours later, so I increased it to 2.0 for a couple changes, then fined tuned it to 2.2. I'm still a bit high sometimes (120 - 130) but not consistently enough to change at this point.

Which set do you use? With the silohuette sites the prime is 0.7 and never really noticed an unusual high. I'll need to pay more attention.

Wow! What a revelation...I thought that I was having problems because the old site was causing me to run high (not work as well). I wouldn't have even thought to ask my D-team about it. I should look back because I do not always have problems but it might depend on timing with meal and/or needing a correction...hmm

What sort of infusion set do you use? the .3 prime is fine for Mios, but Silhouettes need a .7 prime.

I usually need a higher basal rate for 24 hours. When this first began to happen I would sometimes pull out my new set thinking it was bad!! Now, I set the basal higher and supplement with shots.

I do get highs after a site change but never took a prime. I might be dumb asking this but how do you calucalate prime. Is it a fixed amount or should be calculated. My DE never discussed about this.

Call me crazy but I use a 3.0 prime. Usually fixes it. Plus it helps to have a good BS to start with before you change sites.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service