I received my minimed 723 yesterday evening. So I went ahead and put on an infusion set to get a feel for it and see how my 2 yr old reacted. I half expected him to run up grab the tubing and run in the opposite direction. he did just fine and did not bother it at all,(this is only a matter of time). I even wore it to bed last night to see if it was going to effect my sleep at all. It didn't bother me.

Anyone out there with little ones have any advice on grabby little hands?

Views: 9

Replies to This Discussion

Um, well, I used to give it to my daughter to play with when she was a baby (she's seven now). I found that in long lines or when she was reaching her limit it was a great distraction.  I never really had any issues with her and the pump, at worst there were a few times where she banged into a pump site and that hurt. A lot. But there's not a whole lot you can do about it. Honestly, the ones I had bigger issues with were my two big dogs. I think each of them got legs tangled in my pump tubing at least once each and that was a surprise and didn't feel so great.

If he does show interest, let him see it, touch it. Explain that it gives mommy medicine that makes you feel better (terminology a 2-year-old can understand). He'd have to work really really hard to hurt it or even make it give you insulin if that's what you're worried about.

Here's a link to an article I wrote about my daughter's reaction to the pump... http://diabetesnewshound.com/type1/mommy-diabetes/

Honestly though, I wouldn't worry about it.

My boy is a sneaky one.....

The remote for the ceiling fan went mssing for 6 months....then it just appeared one day...in his hand ofcourse..haha.

I just found my wallet from 3 days ago. I still haven't found my old iphone...I will definetly have to keep a closer eye on things.

I don't have children but I'm the oldest of 7. My little sister who is one likes to grab at it sometimes I just lock it and let her play with it and tell her no if she trys to run and show her that it's attached to me. She's never hurt me though she actually thinks it's a phone and puts it up to her ear and back to mine it's pretty cute. My parents are divorced so I live with some brothers and sisters more than the others I'm visiting my mom right now and her 2 year old son grabbed it today and almost pulled my pants off but it's the first time he's seen it and after that I let him play with it but it's not that bad and you can always put it in your pocket and tuck the tube into your pants so they cant rip it off or even see it really. It's not that bad Good Luck with your journey on the pump I started using a pump about 5 months ago and I love it.

I have a three year old and she's been great with my pump, but I've had it her entire life.

It is not to touch - ever.

We talk about diabetes frequently and she knows that it gives me medicine all day long. I wear it on my belt and tuck the tubing into the waistband of my pants, so the tubing is not usually visible to her. Sometimes she asks to see it. so I unclip it from my belt, we talk about it and look at the whole contraption together, see where it goes into my skin and I put it back.

If you're open and honest with your children, I think it makes all the difference. They are no longer curious, because they know what it is and how to treat it. Occasionally her foot has caught tubing when I've carried her or she's hit my infusion set by accident, but that's okay, it's nobodys fault and may only hurt for a second. It's no worse than when I do it to myself!

Best of luck!  I'm sure it'll be fine, just include your son from the start and use it as a teaching moment when he is curious. 

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service