Wow -- I've got to learn to be careful of the differences in readings. Yet looking at the graphs is really interesting, although I still have to watch the urge to correct when I see highs.

I discovered that a 116 sg was really a 56bg when I was buying groceries. I guess it will take some time to find the right settings. Although many of you have seemed to find more cons than pros, I REALLY want to get off my roller coaster -- and feeding my lows.

If you are a CGM user (minimed) and have any tips and advice, I will be most grateful.

Tags: CGM

Views: 555

Replies to This Discussion

Hurt - in comparison to a Quick set insertion - yes - it hurts more. But, I have found when I squeeze the tissue up prior to inserting, it distracts me away from the insertion needle pain and I can't feel it anymore. I routinely use my thighs for my CGM, and while not FDA approved there, it is the area where I get my best correlation. The abdomen had major discrepecies for me.
Here is my advice - it is not FDA approved - I have learned through trial and error - on sensor end (after 7 days for me) that I insert the sensor and connect the charged transmitter and leave the sensor function off overnight. This gives time for the sensor to "marinate" in my interstitial fluid overnight. I then turn on the sensor function in the morning when I wake up. I do not calibrate at this time. I wait until I am up and about for about two hours for the interstitial fluid to circulate and calibrate prior to breakfast. Doing this has helped me to get a mroe accurate sensor reading from the start. It does take a day to a day and half for the sensor "to settle" for me. I have learned never to calibrate when raising or falling. And the one thing I still do that they tell you not to do is over calibrate - meaning calibrating more than 3-4 times per day. Do not give up - you will make it work for you. I can not live without my CGM. It works so well for me now. Perfect -no. No CGM will ever be perfect. But it has saved my butt so many times. Keep in mind there is about a 20 min lag time from BG to sensor glucose. It takes time to catch up. I love the predictive alamrs though and they have prompted me to test when I wouldn't have, catching a low before it got too bad.
How do you get a 7 day time for CGM? Mine ends automatically after 72 hours. So I was disappointed, thinking I could go maybe 4 or 5 days.

And I really appreciate your encouragement -- I will try your overnight idea.

Ruthie
I've heard the warnings about "over-calibrating", but don't understand them.... when the discrepancies between my meter and my CGM are high, I try to calibrate often to bring it back in line. (It doesn't work). Why?

Ruthie -- at Sensor End, you can go to "Start New Sensor" without changing it, and though it tells you about the 2-hour wait time, it gives the chance to calibrate immediately with the old sensor. Medtronic (or the FDA) can't back up the results you get after 3 days, but many people find them to be just as, if not more, accurate. The downfall is that you only know your sensor is dead when the CGM readings tend to either flatline or plummet.
Scott,
Do you mean that when I get the message "sensor ended" I can ignore it and it continues to monitor?
No, but you can go through the steps to start a new sensor without actually changing sensors. Just keep the transmitter plugged in, and you won't even need to wait 2 hours to give it the "first" calibration.

This is what I did when I had the CGM a few years ago, it works great. Thanks for reminding me of this, getting a new CGM tomorrow :)

Ruthie- I started my CGM in August. I, too, over-calibrated and the low alarm was constantly waking me up at night. The BG was not low, but I did not want to stop the CGM. In desperation I talked to my nutritionist and she suggested that I eat 1 oz. of protein before I go to bed. It is not exactly appetizing to eat chicken at bedtime, but it works. Sometimes I eat 1/2 c. Greek yogurt. That works too. I get fewer false alarms now and I am sleeping well with good overnight BGs.

There certainly is a time delay between the BG and the ISIG readings. Sometimes I get a "low predicted" well after I just ate. I found out that it could be very dangerous to treat a low based on a CGM reading. Sometimes I get low symptoms before the CGM sends an alarm.

The tape on the CGM bothers me sometimes, but I am glad I have the CGM.

I get my A1C checked next week. Hope it will be good news.

M.P.
I never treat a low or bolus for a high or a meal based on a CGM reading.
I find that because there is less intersitial fluid movement around the sensor at night, I will have a low # on the GGM but not necessarily correlates with the BG. I have my CGM alrams lowered at night for this reason. YDMV of course.
Thanks for your comments -- I'll act accordingly; the protein sounds like a good idea.

Ruthie

When mine did that one night and my BG wasn't low, I just turned off the alarms, hopefullly that helps when it is driving you nuts again.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service