Wow -- I've got to learn to be careful of the differences in readings. Yet looking at the graphs is really interesting, although I still have to watch the urge to correct when I see highs.

I discovered that a 116 sg was really a 56bg when I was buying groceries. I guess it will take some time to find the right settings. Although many of you have seemed to find more cons than pros, I REALLY want to get off my roller coaster -- and feeding my lows.

If you are a CGM user (minimed) and have any tips and advice, I will be most grateful.

Tags: CGM

Views: 553

Replies to This Discussion

When mine did that one night and my BG wasn't low, I just turned off the alarms, hopefullly that helps when it is driving you nuts again.

Ruthie, How is it going with your sensor? I just found your post. My daughter is starting on the Revel today and we want her on the CGM. (she was on the dexcom 7 prior so i am a little familiar with them).
My question would be your readings. you said that 116 sg was really a 56bh. Can you explain that??
I am not the expert. I just got my pump (Paradigm) in July. I have been on my learning curve and one of the problems I have was calibrating too often. I have called the Medtronics helpline and trainer for advice. The Medtronics helpline said that the calibrations compare the Blood Glucose (finger stick) with the Sensor glucose reading from the interstitial fluid (ISIG). The BG to ISIG ratio should be consistent when you calibrate. The ideal would be a BG of 100 to and ISIG of 10. The sensor reads the interstitial fluid and the pump tries to convert that number to what the BG should be as shows it on the pump screen. I find when the sensor is new that the readings can be off more. After ~12-24 hours the sensor has a ratio established between BG and ISIG.
Press the ESC key on the pump 3 times to get the ISIG number. The Medtronic trainer explained it like a roller coaster where the BG is in the front car and the SG is the rear car. Think of the roller coaster and it makes sense that the numbers are not the same. They should not be that far apart, but I find that is more likely to happen when the sensor is new. Also, sensors are supposed to be stored between 36 to 80 degrees F.

Always test BG (finger stick) before a bolus!!!! Talk to your Medtronics trainer. Mine was very informative and nice.
My trainer is a diabetic herself and she gave me a schedule to calibrate by and it has worked great. But of course if you have the arrows that tell you your blood sugar has gone up or down I don't do it. I callibrate 1st thing when I get up, before dinner and before bed.

Lori
Also if your blood sugar has changed quickly in a short amount of time it will be different but when my bs is stable mine is really close.

Lori
I just got mine this week and I am getting hooked up with Saline tomorrow. I have been reading the books and watching the tutorial. I am so hoping it will be easier than injectables.. I would love to hear any tips as well..
I have notice when you first start a new sensor it may take a few days for your bg's to play catch up with the cgms. So a little patience comes in handy : ) Also you may find as I have that you may get better readings depending on where you place your sensor at.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Join the #DOC at #2014ADA

Diabetes Online Community Blazes New Trail at American Diabetes Association 74th Scientific Sessions Follow the discussion on Twitter at #DOCatADA   SAN FRANCISCO: June 11, 2014 – Korey Hood, PhD and a select group of patient advocates from the Diabetes Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service