Hi Everyone,

I have been on the pump now since October and I love it. It's so easy and reliable and after having been on the Omnipod for 4 years I can't even believe I suffered for four years on that thing when I could have been on this. My concerns about the tubing were totally unjustified. sure the dog chewed through it twice but I have never ripped it out compared to 2+ times a week on the pod.

My problem is that I am just not getting the numbers I need to get. I am pretty sure it isn't the pump. It's stress. I can't seem to get my stress level down and I see no relief in sight. I am sticking to my diet. exercising very regularly and checking my bg 6-12 times a day. I even tried taking an anti-anxiety med but it made my hair fall out and gave me headaches.
I need some advice about managing stress. I have tried yoga but I am too anxious and antsy to attend a class. The kickboxing class I do helps tremendously but that can also raise my bg because of the level of intensity.
Has anyone attended a diabetes support group in person?

I just need some ideas and really appreciate it. Thanks.

Views: 129

Replies to This Discussion

Nor do I have any absolute answers but will pass along this thought from e-patient Dave's web site.

http://epatientdave.com/2012/02/18/why-does-success-take-so-long-on...

Stressing about stress. I have tried several diabetes support groups. The Adult T1, sponsored by JDRF, which meets at local brewing establishments, has been the most helpful, mostly due to the lack of nondiabetic professional advisers. The ones run by professionals inspire me to try the things they advise against.
Art helps. Practicing piano or harp. Acting in a show or a film. Getting the next laugh motivates me to keep my numbers under tight control better than some catastrophe looming in my future. Art feeds the soul.

Creating art is stressful. It's harder in some ways than it was before, and easier. Before I go on, before an audition, I know making a mistake isn't going to kill me. Learning what will has changed all that.
We make our art from our brokenness and in its creation we have the opportunity to heal not only ourselves but each other.
Your art isn't dying. It's shifting in a new direction.

I'm glad to hear the pump is working out well for you! I remember how concerned you were about it before you started.

The stress may just be a part of life, but does your doctor check thyroid levels (TSH) with your bloodwork? It's pretty common to test for it with people with T1. If your thyroid is overactive, or if it's underactive and you take too high a dose of meds to compensate for it(i.e. synthroid, which I take) they say it can make you a bit "jittery". I could see that leading to stress.

I can't say I've ever felt anything related to hypothyroidism, and wouldn't even know I had it if not for the results of the lab tests, but others notice the effects quite clearly.

The very first thing I always think about if my numbers are out of whack is, have my basal, I:C and insulin sensitivity ratios changed? Even if I don't think they have. So retesting those couldn't hurt, and MIGHT help.

Second, I am easily stressed, and for me psychotherapy (talking therapy) has been a godsend. I have an excellent therapist, and when I'm in trouble, talking to him really helps calm me down, and we talk about ways to handle stress.

Because of that, I'm not necessarily saying you need a therapist, but I do think exploring ways to handle the stress is crucial. If yoga didn't work, maybe something else will. For me, calling a close friend really helps, and they know that I need their help and are lovely about it. When I'm stressed, I REALLY need to talk about it with someone who loves me and will be nonjudgmental.

I HAVE been to in-person diabetes support groups, and their quality varies. Depends on the facilitator, and what the people in the group want to talk about. I also go to a women's therapy group run by my psychologist, and find it FAR more helpful, even though no one else there has diabetes. I'm not depending on them to manage my diabetes, but they are WONDERFUL in helping me manage my feelings.

I'm hoping you can keep on working on this problem, and find a solution. Don't want to see you suffer! :-)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service