That is the question! When you disconnect your tubing from your site, for whatever reason, do you suspend the pump or not? I used to suspend, but then I read that some people don't suspend. They want to keep the basal going so as not to have an interruption problem with the insulin flow, or something like that. I've also read (and experienced) that it is easy to forget to Resume pumping when you reconnect. What do you do?

Views: 442

Replies to This Discussion

That is EXCELLENT advice Korrie. It also works with "super-bolusing", so the pump starts up again on-cue when you want.

Thats a very good question. Even I wondered, is it necessary to suspend the pump for a shower or for some other actvities. Like Ahmad suggested its not much waste of insulin.
The only reason I can think of is, if you check your BG and it is high after resuming insulin and you have to give a bolus, your endo will not know that you were disconnected for some period of time and that migh tbe the reason for your high BG.

I suspend When i shower or if i am to rough working and pull the infusion out. and cant get a new one in till i get home.I have not forgoten yet to resume the pump if I had the 723 reminds me it is suspended. all though the beebs are not to loud ( the only thing I dont like about the 723, cant adjust the volume)

I suspend when I shower plus I put the little cap on the end of the tubing. Not sure if it is absolutely necessary to suspend, but that is what my pump trainer told me way back when :)

I love you guys, er, friends!!!
Thank you for weighing in on the Suspend or Not question. I have learned so much. I had a pump support group in MT when I got my pump, and now I'm without real live in person pumping friends to query.
This Tud is the best thing that has happened to me this Winter!
And everyone is so upbeat and FUNNY!

Hi Cindy, I hate to admit it, but I have two reasons to belong to Tu: 1) the exchange of information and 2) to be entertained!

Thanks, Aimee,
I really like that idea! .3 units for good measure is kind of benign, but makes you feel like it is a bit of a make-up.

I Suspend when I take a shower. I also forget to resume. My MM pump does alarm, but the noise and buzzing is a little too muted for my liking and sometimes it's over an hour or so later when I finally remember to Resume. I also forget to close the garage door when I leave the house, leave boiling eggs on the hob for hours on end and have forgotten where I parked my car more time than I can remember.......Maybe I shouldn't Suspend anymore :-)

I never use the suspend option on my pump.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service