After 27 years with diabetes and two severe lows in 2011, I've finally given in and am getting a pump (and CGMS) on Monday! A rep called me to let me know it was being shipped, but it seems a little weird to me that I'll have a pump without any sort of training. Is there a semi-decent guidebook that comes with the pump? Or am I supposed to set up an appointment with the rep and/or my doctor?

Views: 85

Replies to This Discussion

Unless different Docs and CDEs do it differently, you will be trained. I just went for my first training today and will go "live" with insulin next Tuesday. Has anyone done this w/out training? Minimed pumps come with training manuals plus web tutorials. -Dave
Yes, I did it without formal training, but did have a pumping friend to help me. But then I got my first pump illegally too. This friend had gotten a new one, and gave me his old one. It was the only way I could get my doc to cooperate -- he had refused the year before, but when I presented him with a fait accompli, he gave in and ordered me a new one.
You really should arrange for training. Every pump company has certified trainers, so take advantage of it. If your endo's office is not prepared to do the training, ask the pump provider to provide training. The manuals are great, but the training is really essential to get a good start.
Jackie, you definately will get training - usually they are quick to ship and then if you don't hear from their trainer in a few days, call and find out who will be doing the training. I had my pump 2 weeks before I could get the training, and then the training was just a few hours at my house and then a few calls to follow up with questions and I was good to go. You will love the pump. I started the glucose monitor a month after the pump (and again, they shipped me the monitor and I didn't do the training for several weeks as they wanted me to get used to the pump first) and it has been great. Can't reccomend it enough as I had lows during exercise and now I simply put on temporary basal and can control things great. I am still learning and playing with it but you will see how easy it is. This site is fantastic for questions too after the training - no question is too basic! Good luck and congratulations!
I got the pump the week before I started training. It was important to have the pump there so I could experience it in person not just read out of a book or on line.
I was diagnosed in '82, and I've had so many severe low's I can't even count the times I've had 20's or 30's, since Dec. 21 2011 I have not felt I was "getting low", passed out, or met any EMT's. I'd know how carbs, Novalog and your BG relate to each other and call and see what your endocrinologist offers to people using the Medtronic's pump. Because the orientation/training I received from a Medtronic's representative at my endocrinologist's office took an hour or so, and I walked out wearing the pump with the rep's phone number. The rep was a Type 1 for 20 yeas or so and was on call if I had any questions. I had 1 low, 45 I think, that I treated and then I went back to my endo's office 3 days later for another training session with the rep. I learned how to change the infusion set and since then all has been amazing. The guide book and more print information came with the box but the training was key. I read all I could about Novalog and I still check my BG 10 to 13 times a day, but I could probably drop it to 6-7 times now.

The pump was a welcome change and I hope you have a similar experience, but I do not have a CGM because I'm so used to checking my BG. Call your Endo and Medtronics.
When I got my pump, the educator was extremely overloaded and could not schedule me for a month.

I got my pump and did extensive "Training" myself using the manuals, using the Pump in "Training Mode" and online help files and more importantly, a book "Pumping Insulin" to familiarization of myself with the pump and how to best use the pump's power.

My Endo required me to go to the educator and I did that after about 6 weeks. What I found was that my educator’s routine was 2-3 visits to "Acquaint” the user with the pump, features, insertions etc.

On my first visit, the Endo recognized my "homework" and said that no need unless I want to after 1 session. She was also extremely helpful in answering the how and why of all my questions or concerns. A function that I heard from others that does not happen or happens later in the "Educator" study.

This fall I will start back on a re-do of all the basic data and do further "tweaking" of my settings to be sure I am on track but results have been fantastic.

In the work by the Endo, the educator and all the documentation has to lead to a vision of "Self Education" and reliance and then supplement them with visit back to the Endo.

My New Goal is now to be at 5.0 - 5.5 by year’s end.

I think that the Book "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh (ISBN 1-884804-86-1) is the WORLDS BEST GUIDE. I have 2 versions ( 2nd and 4th) and the 4th is extremely excellent.

You will get excellent training! And the Trainers will be sure to follow up with you a lot! The trainers usually suggest you open the box and read some of the materials and look over the interactive disk! It is so helpful! Good Luck!
I have a pump, and the trainer that I had was horrible, I adjust my basals myself endlessly! I just moved to FL in the past month, and I still don't have an endo, was just looking for one on the net a few moments ago. But in due time I guess.
The rep was supposed to set you up with a CDE=Certified Diabetic Educator?
You will be trained--pump providers frequently have rn's who do the training--does your endo have a diabetes educator? If so s/he can do the training--good luck. I feel that the pump changed my life. Judith
LOL lucky you, I want to get retrained on the sensor, and the nittie gritty parts of the pump, and guess what:) They made the sale, so they could care less about me now, no endo, no trainer, lost sheep?
So you need to be assertive. I don't know what kind of pump you have, but I know that whenever I've called Medtronic to ask questions, they have been very patient about answering them for me. They've walked me through all the steps to figure out what's wrong and have explored the problem with me in detail.

Plus there are lots of people here who will answer questions. You need to think through what exactly is bothering you and ASK!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service