1 month into pumping and wondering what other spots works well for other people.

Views: 309

Replies to This Discussion

I've been pumping for over 10 years now.
For quite some time now I use my upper thigh areas.
Wearing jeans, if I put my hand into my pocket, I can feel the site.
After 20 years of injections, I have way too much scar tissue on my stomach, so the area I now use is like "new soil". I also use the same area for my CGMS too. Infusion works much better in this area too.
Good luck

I use mid and upper buttocks, lower back (i.e. above the beltline) left and right sides (above belt line), thighs high and low, and stomach. My rotation takes about 3 months before I return to any particular spot.

I have been pumping since 2007 and have had no problems with poor absorption, scar tissue, etc.

I don't know why but I have never had sucess with my thighs...I rotate like a clock around my abdomin and use my sides and back as well. My thighs are a great spot for my CGS though!

I rotate from side to side and up and down so I use as many places as I can, sometimes even the backs of my arms. I try to avoid places I would press when sitting and sleeping, veins and muscles. I have found most freckles are located on top of blood, so I avoid them. I avoid any place that I can see a mark, any place I can see a vein, and places that are near my waist.The upper thighs sometimes cause my insert to hit muscle and bend. If the site hurts too much, I wait a minute to see if it will settle, then if not, I move on. I also test a few times after change out to make sure my site is working. I have had times when I had to change it more than once. I try to keep using other places then the belly, but after a few try s if things are not working, I'll defiantly go there.
1ddm since 1979

This raises the same question about the CGM transmitter location. There are fewer options available due to the need for an unobstructed signal. I use my thighs - high and low, left and right. Any other suggestions?

I got help with the a month or so earlier from this group, a lot of people suggested the back of the arm, I have tried this and it has been very accurate for me. The only problem with the arm is 1. you have to have someone that is not petrified of needles to insert it for you because you can't do it on your own and 2. If you wear shortselved shirts you get people coming up to you all the time with a horrified look on their wanting to know what is on your arm. I have been able to counteract this because it is winter and I am mostly wearing sweaters right now. I have also tried my upper buttocks area but this did not work out well for me because I sleep on my back and it always hurt because of the pressure at night. So I have enjoyed using my arms as alternate place from my thighs and have had the sensors in my arms more lately.

I am not sure where everyone is talking about sides and upper back. I try to go buttocks above waistline but I don't know how far over on your back you can go?? Maybe I am missing a diagram or something..

I found the following suggestions:

Medtronic has a page suggesting sensor site locations - abdomen and buttocks
http://www.medtronicdiabetes.net/support/insertion-site-management/...

Selecting the Best Sensor Site from Medtronic

Selecting the Best Sensor Site

AND in a recent abstract from NIH this was their conclusion for the forthcoming (?) Medtronic Enlite sensor. Not available in US, yet.
The NexSensor (enLite probably) was accurate for inpatient, frequent-sample testing for 6 days when inserted into the abdomen and buttocks. The results of this study also provide evidence that both the abdomen and buttocks are suitable as sensor insertion sites.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21527106

See:
http://www.diabetesmine.com/2011/04/rumors-that-prove-true-medtroni...

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service