I was reading Jessie's post about skipping testing and insulin doses. It got me to wondering about this subject. So here goes, let do a poll of sorts. I must admit to having been there, done that and go into (T)rouble even though I am considered a T-2........Actually I hate/skip tesing once in a while, say skip 1 test one day another test another day. I am supposed to test at least 4 times a day and adjust my insulin based on meal carbs and pre-meal reading, but some times I just feel so confident I jsut bolus for the meal.

So here goes fellow shooters..........

1. what type are you, type-1, type-2, LADA etc?

2.-A How long since you were Dx'd? (or how long ahve you been diabetic)

2-B How long have you been on insulin?

3- how many times and how often have you skipped one or more insulin doses?

4. What is the longest amount of time you have gone without taking your insulin?

5. What problems did you encounter as a result of skipping your insulin?

6. Do you ahve a question you would lie to add to this poll/discussion, please feel free to add you own question/s.......

Thanks..........

(*&*( GOMER sez Happy shootin

Views: 915

Replies to This Discussion

Yes I did, OOPS

LADA

2.-A How long since you were Dx'd? (or how long ahve you been diabetic)

High bgs since 2006, officially dx'd in 2008

Since Feb 2008

Fewer than once a week I'd say

4. What is the longest amount of time you have gone without taking your insulin?

No more than a few hours

I've been pleasantly surprised that I don't usually go really high. I did have two slices of pizza last week (thick crust) and didn't take my insulin and was over 400 four hours later. That's the first time that's happened.

Type 1

2.-A How long since you were Dx'd? (or how long have you been diabetic)

June 7, 2010

June 7, 2010

Haven't... yet.

I almost forgot to take it a couple of times, and ended up not eating my carbs, then took it, and ate the carbs.

Well in this case, did what I stated above, and it seemed like my levels were a bit out of whack (higher). More problems at this point trying to avoid lows as the amount of insulin I need keeps decreasing. Once it seems I'm on a pattern, it suddenly changes and I'm having hypos... But then, I've only been on treatment about a month and a half, so I guess things will become more predictable at some point.
1. type 1

2.a 3years

2.b 3years

3. 3 or 4

4. about 2or 3 hours

5. very very high blood sugars
1. Type 1
2. 3 years
3. Since I was diagnosed wit diabetes I was put on insulin
4. I've skipped insulin doses for days
5. For over a pd of about 4 months
6. I went into dka it was really bad I now take my insulin all the time
So here goes fellow shooters..........

1. what type are you, type-1, type-2, LADA etc? T2

2.-A How long since you were Dx'd? (or how long ahve you been diabetic) Jan 2007

2-B How long have you been on insulin? 2007 4 yrs

3- how many times and how often have you skipped one or more insulin doses? under 20

4. What is the longest amount of time you have gone without taking your insulin? 12 hours

5. What problems did you encounter as a result of skipping your insulin? High BG

6. Do you ahve a question you would lie to add to this poll/discussion, please feel free to add you own question/s.......

Thanks..........
1. type 1

2. 26 years

3. 26 years

4. i used to mess around and skip my shots all the time

5.i have many long term complications and if i knew then what i knew now what having hi sugars for extended periods of time wouldve done to my life i would have taken this much more serios. i have gastroparesis. i couldnt eat or drink for 4 years and was on a feeding tube for 16 hours a day until i had a pacemaker put in in 2004 which didnt help much. i can eat again but i have been in the ER just about weekly ever since 2004 (no exaggeration) i have not been able to work any longer. i have have both eyes with cataracts removed. the first one when i was 24 and the second one at 38. i have autonomic neuorpothy. i have hi bp and chol. its even effected my breasts. diabetic mastopathy. ive had three large lumps removed from my breast. im anemic cause i cant absorb iron due to my gastroparesis due to diabetes due to hi sugars for years. i have weekly iron infusions. i have frozen shoulder. irratic heart beat. SO, dont mess around! take your insulin if youre suposed to! OH and of course the mental toll of anxiety and depression.

DIABETES IS SERIOUS STUFF

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE! AND HAPPY BLOOD SUGARS

1. LADA

2.-10 years, originally as type 2, but recently as 1.5

2-B 5 months

3- I tend to skip lunch on the weekends so I can avoid a shot. I'm hoping I'm not the only one that does that.

4. Just between breakfast and lunch.

5. No problems, just one less stick!

6. Just wondering if others skip meals to avoid shots.

1. what type are you, type-1, type-2, LADA etc? Type 1

2.-A How long since you were Dx'd? (or how long ahve you been diabetic) Since age 12

2-B How long have you been on insulin? 30 years

3- how many times and how often have you skipped one or more insulin doses? I never skip Lantus of which I take 12 units in the am and 12 units in the evening. I do skip meals and thus skip humolog doses probably 3-4 times per week in order to get back on track after rough stretches. Exercise and weight train 3-4 per week and this helps to reduce the humolog doses as well.

4. What is the longest amount of time you have gone without taking your insulin? Humolog 16 hours

5. What problems did you encounter as a result of skipping your insulin? I was fasting at that instance so I did not encounter any problems. Did not skip the Lantus doses so readings were decent.

6. Do you ahve a question you would lie to add to this poll/discussion, please feel free to add you own question/s.......No question's from my end, just thought my experiences could help those looking to reduce their insulin consumption and problems associated with this slippery slope...

1. Type I diabetic
2. a. Diagnosed May 31, 2013
b. I was started on insulin immediately, so a little over 5 months
3. I only skip Novolog if I am not eating a meal, otherwise I am very consistent. I learned early on I cannot skip insulin. I never skip the long-acting Lantus. I did once or twice in the beginning and had terrible blood sugar readings for three days. I take the Lantus religiously at the same time every day.
4. The longest is 6-8 hours, because I just cannot eat lunch, I am not hungry every 4-5 hours. If I eat a meal, I inject 5-10 minutes before I eat. I don't need insulin midday, because I just eat an ounce of mixed nuts and that does not raise my blood sugar.
5. The few times I forgot Lantus, my blood sugars went to the 500-600 range and it took three days to get the readings back down. I felt very weak and had joint pain.
I am DKA prone, so I have to be very careful.

1. Type One.
2-A. Since August 2007, but I had been showing symptoms for several months before that.
2-B. Since August 2007.
3. Twice that I can remember. The first time was when I was far away from home at a family reunion. Mom thought that we would be back hours before we actually were, so I was hiking at dinner time. It didn't turn out to matter that I didn't have insulin though, because I was still in my honeymoon and walking so much I was low most of the time. The second one I just forgot to do my breakfast shot. I only remembered when I got my lunch check and I was almost 400.
4. Several hours. Not too long.
5. No problems the first time, and I was high for a few hours the second.
6. How long was your Honeymoon? Mine was about two years.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service