how many times will you use a syringe before it is time to discard? i have never found it important to change out a syringe after each injection. i use 1 a day, good for 2 to 3 injections. what about you?

Views: 1500

Replies to This Discussion

When money is good, I will use one per injection, unless I am stuck somewhere and thought I had a syringe with me. HOWEVER, through the years I have had to reuse syringes upto 6 times, in order to be able to afford other such things as food, gas electricity...so yeah I try not to reuse, but have had to reuse : )~
I have done 1 per day for several injections if not to save money just for convenience so I am not carrying around that many syringes with me, plus you have to consider about disposal of the used ones.
I do one needle a shot unless I run out and forget. I did more with one when I had no insurance.
I use one syringe per injection due to the fact that I take more than one insulin and mixing them would not have good results.

I take more than one insulin aswell, Lantus & Humolog. I was told by my diabetes educater that its ok to mix them. idk if its different depending on the type of insulin though..

Unfortunately, if your read the tiny print instructions with Lantus, you will see that it is NOT to be mixed with short term insulin as USED to be ok way back when Ultralente was used as a long term insulin. So what THAT piece of information you got from your CDE diabetes educator must indicate they are very OLD, trained a long time ago, and are they even diabetic themselves? Have they read the instructions?
Read column 2 on the instructions in section="Warnings and Precautions" and see the BOLD type in the 6th warning that says "LANTUS must not be mixed with any other insulin or diluted with any other solution because it might not work as intended."

I typed the above from my copy from the vial I am currently using. I knew of this when I switched to it in 2005 from using Ultralente that used to be the type of insulin with cloudiness provided by zinc to slow down absorption.
LANTUS is a different type of insulin, so you should not listen just to a person who may not even have read the boxed instructions and may have been going on training from years ago especially if the person is not diabetic themselves and hence may not stay as up to date as they should even if they are a medically trained person. We all know that there is so much information in medicine that it is not surprising.
This is a serious point for you to discuss with the manufacturers if you have been doing it for many years as maybe you are needing a lot more insulin because of it and may not have even discussed it with anyone because you had been told by a CDE and felt they were right.
I suggest if you are going to now be taking them with separate syringes, you have to be very aware and prepared to notice both types of insulin might end up being more powerful when separated so do NOT do it before you go to sleep. Do it while awake enough to notice how much more powerful the two types are when taken separately.
How many years have you been doing it this way...possibly since Feb 2010 when diagnosed? You MUST report that CDE to the higher up people to have her put correct before the person misleads more patients. It is an understandable mistake and yet it needs absolute correction. That's why I ask you to speak to the manufacturer Sanofi-Aventis to ask for more info as to what it may have meant for you since you started and how to adjust insulin carefully as you now take them separately.

I ALWAYS change my needle with EVERY use. I inject twice a day, sometime three times (I use lantus,then a sliding scale of humulinR). My insurance covers my needles. If I wasn't covered I would be forced to have to reuse because of money. I think this is why people reuse. The problem is todays needles are really built for one use only, but if I wasn't covered by my insurance it would force me to reuse. I'm glad I'm not in that situation. I definitly. Understand what forces people to reuse. I believe its money.its awful but some insurance won't cover needles or some people have NO insurance.
yeah, sadly i'm in that boat. syringes are relatively inexpensive though. $14 for 100. not bad
I use a new pen needle every time with my Humalog Kwikpen. I also use a new syringe every time I use regular insulin or NPH.
Depending on what I plan on eating, depends on how much and which kinds of insulin I use. Greasy pepperoni pizza, I use 10 units of each! Of course that is about 4 to 6 slices of pizza though...

Walmart has them for about $13.

Healthwarehouse has them for $9.99, BUT you get a 1 inch (25mm) needle. They are called Nipro Hypodermic Needle 22 Gauge, 1", 100 Count

Most other places have the B & D one's for around $25-$30 per 100.

If you can get by with longer needles, you can get better prices by googling.

If you think you can't, then pinch the skin and inject at an angle. It will work.

Lately I use syringes. One per injection of Apidra.

I also use Levemir Kwik Pen - I use one needle each time for that too.

While many of you don't seem to have problems with reusing needles, I am afraid I will be the one who DOES get an infection.

They are cheap enough to toss them when used only once. I use teh Rely-On brand (generic stuff).

Needles aren't quite as sharp as the BD brand, but they get the job done as long as I stick it in quick.

Slow makes it smart a little.

In the beginning, I used one (disposable) needle tip per injection. I still use one per injection with my Lantus, but for whatever reason,(money, saving time or laziness) I use one per day with my multiple injections of Humalog. I always do the 2-unit primer squirt, to make sure the insulin is free-flowing and I (almost) always do the alcohol prep. Again, sometimes when I'm in a hurry, I just rub my shirt really good on the injection site and inject. Unsanitary... maybe, but I take a shower every day... how bad can it be? ;-)
i have never used alcohol. it seems like another useless step to me. i have never had an infection at the injection sight. only occasional bruising, as per usual.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service