Hello Everyone,

Here I am, new to this group, but with a question.

I'm new to insulin, and I'm traveling. I put an unopened pen cartridge of insulin in the hotel refrigerator last night. Some other items in the fridge are frozen this morning. I've read that it loses its potency if it freezes.

Is there any way to tell whether my insulin also froze?

Thanks for reading this!

marty1492

Views: 329

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Ash24,

Thank you for the information. The unopened insulin cartridge doesn't have any air in it (that I can see) and I didn't know any other way to tell whether it was still liquid. It's my first cartridge. Do you know whether a cartridge will become cloudy or have particulates if it has been frozen?

Thank you!

marty1492

This reply is too little, too late, but I'll just add my own experience for others who may happen to read this. The same thing happened to me -- the hotel fridge decided to go haywire and freeze everything inside, including my insulin. I know it froze because the cartridge got all cloudy from condensation when I took it out of the fridge (which only happens with an extreme temp difference -- it wasn't hot in the room). If other items froze, I would definitely assume the insulin froze, too.

I complained to the hotel, and they said that the mini fridges are set to adjust to the ambient room temperature. In other words, the internal temperature setting (1-7) is not absolute, but relative. If the temperature in the room changes drastically, as it did when I left the window open overnight, the fridge can turn itself into a freezer without warning. Great. DON'T LEAVE YOUR INSULIN IN A HOTEL MINI-FRIDGE. Either ask at the front desk if they can hold onto it for you in a kitchen fridge (ideal) or rig and constantly replenish an ice bath (less so).

The good news is that my hotel paid for a doctor visit and also paid to replace the insulin that froze (retail price). After all, I had chosen that hotel partly because of the in-room refrigerators, and there was no warning about temperature instability on the fridge. However, going forward, I will never again trust hotel fridges with my precious insulin!

The simplest way to tell if insulin has frozen, if it hasn't changed in appearance, is to use it. If it doesn't bring your blood sugar down as it normally would, then it has indeed been frozen. The same applies to extreme heat. It renders insulin useless.

One word about ice. NEVER use ice directly next to your insulin. It WILL freeze enough to make it useless.

Insulin needs to be kept cool when storing it for future use, or the temperature is high, such as in a tropical climate or during a heat wave.

Once you open it, insulin is fine at average room temperatures, however, if its hot enough to use an air conditioner, then you probably need to take precautions about the heat. All insulin packaging comes with an insert that tells you the safe temperature range for your product. Always check the recommendations in the insert.

If you'll be traveling again, or live where there are heat waves during the summer, I strongly advise you to get a FRIO wallet for your insulin. Frio uses water evaporation to keep insulin and other temperature sensitive medications at a cool temperature without risk of freezing, and without relying on any type of refrigeration. The wallets are small enough to carry with you, and you can also get larger ones for supplies needed over an extended period such as a vacation.

Frio can be used anywhere that you have access to clean water, its very portable, and simple to use, and you can even get one for a pump if you have one.

I've been using water evaporation to keep my insulin protected during heat waves for several years now, and have never had a problem. Frio is a reliable product and the concept is simple and effective. I highly recommend it!

Here's the link: http://www.frioinsulincoolingcase.com/

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MasterLab through the eyes of the community

The Diabetes Hands Foundation would like to thank everyone for attending the diabetes advocates MasterLab on July 2nd 2014. MasterLab was about building a sense of what is possible and designed to give advocates a chance to learn from veteran Read on! →

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service