I posted this on the main forum but I am reposting it here just in case. I recently moved to NYC for school and I am looking for a new endo. I tried one and had such a horrible experience I swore off all doctors for about 6 months. However, now I am thinking I need someone that I can bounce ideas off of since my schedule is extremely variable (I am a student and I work hourly in customer service, which sucks) and my blood sugars in turn are extremely variable. I am trying to get my A1c down and I am striving for tight control. I have a pump and a Dexcom, but I am still new at this and dont always trust my instincts even though I have all of the data at my fingertips. I just need a doc I can check in with once a year and a CDE or a GP that is familiar with Type 1 that I can email/call/see more frequently for the nitty gritty stuff.

Any suggestions, New Yorkers?

Views: 139

Replies to This Discussion

this was recommended to me: the Naomi Berry Center
http://www.nbdiabetes.org/

I have a doctor already who moved out to Queens a few years ago, and I still schlepp out to see her even though she's not very hands on, at least she's supportive (with the expected caution) of whatever I try , so I'm not going to recommend her, but I did just meet another NY diabetic who says she went the the NB center and really likes its comprehensive program. I can't recommend a specific doctor there. Worth looking into. I plan to soon, actually, as it's near to where I live.
Jay
Thanks Jay, however, this just so happens to be the place where I had a bad experience with one of the endos. The center is beautiful though and the comprehensive program is really great, very supportive. I'm sure not everyone there is like this one person and I actually always had pretty good experiences with the rest of the staff, the nutritionist and one of the nurse practitioners are both really nice and helpful. The eye doctor is a little gruff and I got a creeper vibe from him though. When I tried to ask him questions he looked at me like I was an idiot and I was speaking gibberish. But that appointment is only once a year so I guess its ok. They are all kind of happy smiley people too. Actually, its creepy! Like a cult! They are all, "We'll take care of you. We'll take care of everything. Don't think for yourself, we've got that covered. Just come to all of your little appointments and nod and smile and we'll take care of the rest." Yuck. I didn't like it. But I'm pretty feisty so I can't just play their game, get the info I need, and leave. It irks me to the core. :) However, one thing I can say is they are very hands on.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I've been going there for a couple of years now and had a very good experience. The endo I see, Dr. Lauren Golden, is very compassionate and caring. She listens to my concerns and what I have to say and works with me to come up with the right plan for me. There was no condescension and I was very much encouraged to think for myself. I see the endo and the CDE about 4 times a year each when things are running smoothly.... it was more often when I was just diagnosed and when I transitioned to the pump.

Their goal is to help you achieve all your goals and do any activities you want to do, whether it is sports , or , as in my case, getting back into flying. They don't believe diabetes should be a limitiation in your life.

Hi there- I work in NYC and have been seeing the same endo for a few years but I feel like I'd like to try someone new. Do you know if the place you go has early morning or evening appointments? It's too far for me to get there during my lunch break. Thanks-

Melissa, I think their hours are 9-5 or so, but I am not sure.
You might give them a call and see.
Phone: (212) 851-5494
E-mail: diabetes@columbia.edu

One problem is that it may be 2-3 months before you can get an appointment.

Hi, A great place is the Friedman Diabetes Institute http://www.therapyhelp.pro/Resources.html I also have a group that starts on the 08/03/11. A therapeutic group for type 1 diabetics. http://www.therapyhelp.pro/Group.html if you want to check it out.
Eliot

I have the best endocrinologist! Her name is Dr. Nancy Tarlin and she is at Elmhurst Hospital Center in Elmhurst, Queens. She's been my endo for over 10 years and she and her team are phenomenal. I have had several horrible experiences with internists and endos treating my t1 before so I was thrilled when I finally found this one. If you are still looking please contact me. I even mentioned her in a book I just wrote (and self-published) called "Life after death...of a pancreas: a true story of living with type 1 diabetes" which is basically my story of living with type 1 for the past 18 years as well as researched facts & info plus a chapter specifically for non-diabetics so they can learn more about our condition. I don't mean to shamelessly self-promote here (I'm not looking to make a profit from this book - trust me it's being sold for peanuts and I get a very small percentage of even that much ;)) but I'd love to reach as many diabetics out there in case they're interested in reading about all my misshaps ;) Take care!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service