Hi everyone!
I'm wondering what people's experience with insulin resistence has been. I'm currently 24 weeks pregnant and have already had some significant increases in my insulin needs. It feels like as soon as I have any control, they start to spike up again. It really concerns me, since they say you should only worry about highs that don't come back down. Just yesterday I had blood sugars between 170-200 that stayed there for SIX HOURS! Despite giving myself more and more corretive insulin and not eating (except for dinner, snice I also didn't want to starve the baby)... I have already jumped to about 75 units a day, where before I was around 38-42 units a day. Is this normal?? Its freaking me out, b/c I didn't think it would jump so high, so quickly. The chart about how your insulin needs change during pregnancy make it look so gradual! I'd love to hear what others have experienced-Thanks!

Views: 522

Replies to This Discussion

I do my own dosage increases/ decreases.

27 Weeks
I'm taking 60 units of Levemir in the morning, 70 units of Levemir at night. I'm taking between 20-30 units of Apidra PER MEAL. My carb ratios are 1 unit for 2 carbs in the AM and 1 unit for 4 carbs the rest of the day. I'm also taking one pill of Metformin in the AM and one pill of Metformin in PM to help my insulin resistance.

Before Pregnancy:
10-15 units Apidra per meal, 30 units Levemir AM, 40 units Levemir PM, no Metformin (except for 3 months last year) Carb ratio was 1 to 5.

I'm on 20+ MDI and my thighs (my main injection site) are so bruised! I've got the only stretch marks on my body so far are on the FRONT of my thighs!
They are letting you take MEtformin for the insulin resistance in pregnancy!? I have wondered about this! How is it going? Thanks for sharing!
Some Endos will let you, others won't. My OB said it won't help the insulin resistance because the hormones are stronger than the drug. But, my Endo prescribed it to me last year at my request and re-filled it for me last month. I've looked at other sites and read reports done by Endos with type 1 and pregnancy and Metformin seems to be a really healthy drug to use during pregnancy. But many Endos won't do Metformin with Type 1s. And if they do it with Type 1s, they will take you off of it after the first trimester because your homrones will likely out-do the pill's efforts. But, so far so good! I mean I'm still increasing my insulin dosages and the resistance is still going up, but I had really bad resistance BEFORE pregnancy. I see it helping a lot. My numbers have been pretty dynamite for this pregnancy.
I would not worry about the amount of insulin you have to take just take whatever amount is needed for the baby and just remember this soon shall pass and you will be back to your normal insulin ratios after you deliver that beautiful baby! Congrats on your pregnancy! Oh and I too have read about women needing 1:1 ratios by the end of pregnancy and from what I have read your insulin needs may drop around week 36 and will drop very dramatically after delivery. Some women need NO insulin the 2 days after delivering.
hello! in my experience things were not that steady and gradual as depicted in the chart. Yes, my insulin needs increased throughout the pregnancy, but there were definitely weeks where things increased quite dramatically, and then followed by a week where it was a slower increase. I would have 1 week where I needed to adjust both really aggressively, and another week where it was just minor basal tweaks. there were lots of times where i'd correct multiple times before i could come down from a 180 because my basals needed to be boosted.

It sounds like you're doing great - the best thing you can do is make corrections until you can figure out the right bolus/basal adjustment, and don't stress too much. stress makes by sugars go higher, and by 24 weeks all the important development of the organs is done (yes, it's still important to have good control, but after the first 13 weeks a few days here and there where things go out of whack won't cause harm). highs will happen - especially when you get into the third trimester, but the danger comes from highs that are sustained for days, not a few hours. when I was pregnant i would get really worried about highs like the one you described, but in the end everything turned out ok (at 38 weeks i was at 98 units a day), my daughter was born full term and perfectly healthy at 5lb 15 oz.

good luck!
omg what a perfectly sized baby! Did you have to be induced? Were you able to deliver naturally? I'm at my 28th week now (I think? I'm starting to lose track) and they are talking about inducing at 37 weeks if her lungs are fully developed. I'm trying to deliver with no meds and no induction, but not sure if I'm going to be allowed to.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service