My insulin resistance has been increasing from weeks 19 to 33. Now in the past two weeks, my insulin needs seem to be decreasing and I'm having a lot of lows. This caused my endo to be concerned about the possibility of placenta deterioration. I'm going for non-stress tests every second day now and our little guy appears to be moving in his usual rhythm.

I was wondering if anyone else experienced less insulin resistance at the end of her pregnancy??? My endo said that it can happen after week 36, but she is concerned that it started already in week 33.

My blood sugars have been awesome recently (never a reading above 140 in the last few weeks), which felt good, but it has been accompanied by more lows. Now we are concerned about the sudden change in my insulin resistance. One of my theories is that in the past few weeks, I was pretty inactive due to bad hip pain. That disappeared last week and I think that I am moving around more now. So perhaps my decreased insulin needs are due to high mobility.

I would be curious to hear anyone else's experiences. Did your insulin needs grow until the end of your pregnancy?

Views: 6280

Replies to This Discussion

thanks for your reply, kristin.

i'll find out more this week, but it seems that my peri wants to err on the side of caution and is assuming the decreased insulin requirements are due to placenta deterioration. i decreased by 20%, then 10% a few days later, then another 5% today.

both make me nervous -- the idea that it could be placenta deteroration, AND the idea that it could be due to something else - e.g., baby being ready - and inducing prior to 37 weeks!

i am not sure how you all keep so sane during the last weeks!!!!
OK, keep us posted! I did not feel so sane during the last weeks :-) I was also worried about what was best. I wanted to push to go to 40 weeks, but in hind sight, my OB-GYN made the right decision by doing the birth earlier.
Looks like I'll be getting an amnio to check for lung maturity on Friday - if they're mature, I'll be induced at 37 weeks. If not, I will get daily monitoring and then will be induced at 38. My insulin requirements haven't dropped in several days, but the docs are super conservative. My A1cs have been at/below 5.6 this entire pregnancy, so I'm a bit bummed that things are taking this turn at the end (not that one always has to do with the other...). But, eyes on the prize, no!? :)
This sounds reasonable -- though I share the emotion of wanting to wait as long as possible. The prize is WELL worth it :-)

Wishing you ALL the best!!!

Yes, decreasing insulin needs are normal after week 36. My endo and OB-GYN were concerned that they started much earlier (but even that seems normal according to the replies that I got here and elsewhere).

Glad that you are doing so well!! Look forward to hearing the news :)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service