I know this is extremely irresponsible, but I was in between birth control at the time. I just found out today that I am 4 weeks and I am so scared :( it's bad enough that I am just 20 but now I am probably hurting my baby because my last A1C was 11- but that was in December. I've seen my endo since then in March, but we didn't do an A1C test because I saw him to set up my insulin pump. So maybe it is better now? I can't stop crying. I know I need to see my endo, but do I see a gyno first? I went to planned parenhood for my test... and even worse is I moved 3 hours away from my endo in February and have just been driving up here for appointments, so I should just find a new one in my area right? Has anyone else made such a huge mistake like this? Are your babies okay? :(

Views: 383

Replies to This Discussion

What kind of insulin are you taking? I won't see the doctor till June 21st and I am on Novolog in my pump, do they have pregnant women use different insulin?

I use novolog too and have been for years. No special kind of insulin it all works the same. Just be prepared because as your pregnancy progresses your body will naturally become more insulin resistant so you will probably be taking a lot more insulin than you are use to.

Wow. I didn't realize this! Thanks for sharing. I must say that I love my endo and she specializes in pregnancy with pre-existing diabetes. So I was happy to work with her. My high risk OB-GYN just asked how my blood sugars when we met.

My peri (=high risk OB) would have been happy to manage my sugars, but also was OK working with my endo's office. So at least some of them will take on the main managing for T1s.

But. Knowing him better now, I'm definitely glad he's not primarily in charge of my D. He is very good at how D affects pregnancy, but clearly not very good about D in general. I.e. he knows what my goals need to be -- very tight control, recommending the exact same numbers as my endo -- and he knows exactly what the risks to the baby are, and watches like a hawk for any problems. But he also seems to believe I'd be ok testing 4 times a day (as a T1???), that I can't eat ice cream (oh please), and that my postprandial peaks are always at 1 hour regardless of what I've eaten. Ha.

I picked up some prenatal vitamins with DHA today and some folic acid tablets, even though there is folic acid in the prenatals it's okay to take extra right? Or should I wait and ask at my nurse's appointment next Thursday? I read online that folic acid is recommended for pregnant T1's or TI's trying to conceive. Maybe I could just take it every other day until I see the nurse next week?

I would check with your doctor. Because there is usually enough in the prenatal vitamins so taking an extra supplement could possibly be "too much of a good thing" for your body. But just check with your doctor about the extra folic acid supplement. It is important to take your prenatals everyday.

Okay thank-you!

I had my nurse's visit at my OBGYN and she got me an appointment with perinatal partners next Tuesday to have an ultrasound done and take an informative class about diet.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service