Has anyone manage to have a successful pregnancy while on MDIs?

Views: 394

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Sarah, Absolutely :) Last pregnancy, due to complications with blood thinning drugs, the pump was a no-go. So I had to go back to MDIs. In my case that meant 10.30pm and 5am Lantus injections due to my dawn rise, but it was oh so worth it. Yes, it was a bit more work than the pump, but very do-able. All the best :)
Thank you, so reassuring :)
There was NO easy pump availability during my pregnancy. My twins ( both seniors at Columbia University in NYC) will turn 21 years old on Monday. It CAN be done!!!!
I'm from Ireland originally. Most diabetics there have no choice but to inject because pumps are not covered by public health. Therefore most pregnant diabetics inject and there are many many successful healthy pregnancies
I was on MDI during pregnancy and i have a healthy little boy, born at 37 weeks, who just turned a month yesterday. I was on apidra and lantus.
I actually met with a high-risk OBGYN recently for a preconception consult. He insisted that the data shows that there is no difference at all between the pump and MDI as far as pregnancy complications go. (He agreed it sounded surprising, but insisted it was true.)

Not entirely sure WHY he was telling me this, as I'm on the pump and not planning to change for pregnancy! I think he just had an "I am a doctor and therefore feel the need to impart information that is irrelevant to you personally" moment.
Yes, My beautiful daughter was born via vaginal delivery at full term (40 wks 3 days). I did have to be pushed along with cervidil because I started to develop signs of pre-eclampsia. She was a bit on the big side weighing in at 10 lbs 11oz but big babies seem to run in my family with even non-diabetics. My A1C was 8.6 at conception and 6.0 at delivery so yes, it is very doable on MDI. Good luck.
I am on MDI and loving my pregnancy and blood sugars at the moment. Of course I've never used a pump so have nothing to compare it to but my A1C at conceiving was 6.9, first trimester 6.5, and most recent A1C is my best ever at 5.8! I did have to take 6 times more basal insulin as of right now and my needs continued to rise. I am 21 weeks and my biggest spike in insulin needs was around 14 weeks and since then have been very stable "knock on wood" lol I'm still waiting for that 20 week insulin resistance to kick in but crossing my fingers that I already hit my big rise in insulin needs at 14 weeks. Best of luck!
I am on MDI with 5.8 A1C before pregnancy. I did discuss going on the pump with my diabetes team, but they said it wouldn't make much of a difference to my A1C. They said the pump was helpful for people who had fluctuating basal needs, but for me it wouldn't really be helpful since I'm pretty steady overnight.

Far more important for me was switching from Novorapid/Novolog or Novoslow as I call it. That takes 2 hours to kick in for me, which is kinda useless for trying to meet 1 hour post meal targets! I switched to Apidra in the first week of April and baby was conceived immediately afterwards. For me, Apidra works within 10 minutes and that more than anything has totally transformed my blood sugar management. Novoslow on a pump would have been pretty disastrous for me compared to MDI Apidra.
Hi Lila, that's amazing about the difference with Apidra! I'm prompted by that to ask my team whether I could try it in my pump because on "novoslow" it takes 4ish hours for my sugars to return to 'normal'.... and of course.... congrats on the pregnancy!
Saffy - definitely worth trying it out. You have nothing to lose; if it doesn't work out, you can go back to Novoslow. Everybody in my diabetes team insisted that 'tests show there is no difference between Novorapid and Apidra' but I'd heard good things about how fast Apidra is and basically sat in the doctor's office and refused to budge until he wrote out the prescription.
My baby is now 7 weeks old. I was on MDI throughout pregnancy, taking nearly 20 injections per day (Apidra & Levemir / NPH in the first trimester) At conception I was 6.5% A1c. Got it down to 6.2% the second trimester. Was below 6.0% by third trimester, but didnt have a test to verify this. I'm still on MDI now and my control is still pretty good. I'd guess it's about 6.5% now that baby is here and I'm not testing as frequently. Good luck! It CAN be done!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Where are you Medicare? The elephant was not in the room

This was the question burning in people’s mind and passionately talked about yesterday and today at the General Sessions of the AACE/ACE Consensus Conference on Glucose Monitoring, an event to bring together in Washington, DC all relevant stakeholders to Read on! →

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service