After 3 long years of trying to get pregnant, my baby girl is finally here!! It was a really fast 9 months, that's for sure.

My induction was scheduled for May 29th at 38 weeks, so I went in that morning at 7am to start the induction. They started with Cytotec because even though I was dilated to a 1, I wasn't thinned at all and she was still really high. After the first round of the Cytotec, I thinned out to 80% and she dropped into the birth canal. But at 5pm I was still only dilated to a 2-3, so they started pitocin. At about 7pm, she moved down onto my sciatic nerve and I couldn't straighten out my left leg. My contractions were coming really close together and I wasn't getting any breaks between them, so I asked for the epidural. The anesthesiologist was tied up in a c-section and the girl across the hall was in line before me, so I had to wait awhile before I finally got the epidural. I was about 9pm before he finally got there, but MAN, I don't know why some woman don't want the epidural. HOLY COW. However, that was when things started going downhill. My parents had been there visiting until right after I got the epi, but decided to head home since it didn't look like I would be having her any time soon. Right after they left the nurse and doctor came in and said that baby's heart rate was too high. Apparently when they started the epi my blood pressure dropped, and baby wasn't happy about that. They gave me some oxygen and turned me one way and the other and got it to come down some, but not enough. I was really trying to avoid a c-section so I asked what my options were. They gave me something to bring my BP up, but she still wasn't liking it. So, I called my mom and she came back to the hospital as they were prepping me for the c-section. The c-section actually wasn't as bad I thought it was going to be. What was bad was when I was laying on the table, unable to see my baby, but hearing her crying, and knowing it didn't sound right. She was grunting, and grunting hard. My husband was with her, so they told him she would have to be taken to the NICU. They let me see her and kiss her for just a few seconds before they had to take her away. Thankfully I was kind of out of it and so tired, I didn't really have time to think about her being away from me until the next day.

The next morning the NICU doctor came in to talk to us about what was going on with her. Because she didn't come through the birth canal, she had a collapsed lung. He said normally they would stick a needle in their chest, or put in a chest tube, to release the air trapped in their chest, but her vitals were so good, and she was so pretty and looked so good, he didn't want to put a hole in her chest. So they had her on 100% oxygen overnight and she had improved so much that they then started her on an oxygen hood that morning to slowly ween her off of the oxygen. So she was resolving the issue all on her own. When she was born her blood sugar was 83, but had dropped to 55 overnight, but they decided to wait and see if she could bring it up on her own, and she did! No medical intervention needed. It was after lunch on the 30th before I finally got up and out of bed and got down to the NICU to see her.

After I finally saw her, it was really hard to be away from her. It was even harder that I couldn't hold her. I had waited so long to have her, and I was having to wait even longer to hold her. My husband and I went back after dinner and just stood next to her and held her little hands. She HATED that hood, and kept scooting down the bed to try and get from under it. I just wanted to pick her up and fix everything for her, but I couldn't. Thankfully, overnight they got her off of oxygen and she was doing perfectly on room air, so I FINALLY got to hold her.

We got some good skin to skin in that day. It was so great to finally get to hold her and feel her exhale as if to say, "Ahhh. I found my mom." It was hard going back and forth to the NICU so many times every day, but I think it really helped me to recover from the c-section much quicker. I think it also helped that she wasn't with me 24/7, so I was able to sleep as much as possible every night and I wasn't having to worry about getting up to take care of a newborn. I had planned on breast feeding, so we were getting up every 4 hours to pump so that I could get my milk to come in since she couldn't nurse for the first two days. We tried nursing in the NICU, but with the IV board on her arm, it made it really difficult. So I just kept pumping and they were having to supplement her with formula since she was also jaundiced. Once we got home though, she started nursing like she had been doing it all her little life and we've had no problems so far. She was in the NICU for 4 days and thankfully my doctor didn't discharge me on Saturday like she normally would have so that I didn't have to go home without her. We knew she would be discharged on Sunday, so she waited until then to discharge me.

So, we finally got to bring her home on Monday after having her on Wednesday. Our hospital does this awesome thing with NICU babies. They have you "Room-in" the night before the baby is discharged. That way if something happens, you're in the hospital, not at home. So she was with us on Sunday night, and was discharged first thing Monday morning. She's been the best baby. She's so agreeable and easy. She's a month old now, and ALMOST sleeping through the night. We've got a good nighttime routine down, so that's helping. She's going 4-6 hours overnight between feedings, so that's awesome. I still just can't believe that she's mine.

Samantha Jewel
Born May 29th, 2013 at 10:56pm
7lbs 13oz, 21in

Views: 348

Replies to This Discussion

Congratulations!!! Thanks for sharing your story. Enjoy these days -- it might not feel like it now, but they DO fly by!

Awe! Congratulations! She is beautiful.

Congratulations! What a beautiful and happy family!

Oh my goodness!! Congrats...she's beautiful!




From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Joins Diabetes Advocacy Alliance

Diabetes Hands Foundation is incredibly honored to join the Diabetes Advocacy Alliance, an organization with the drive and potential to affect a powerful, positive impact on diabetes and healthcare policy. Diabetes Advocacy Alliance is a 20-member coalition of leading professional Read on! →

Helmsley Charitable Trust Renews Support for DHF

HELMSLEY CHARITABLE TRUST GRANTS SUPPORT TO DIABETES HANDS FOUNDATION FOR FOURTH YEAR  Funding in 2015 to support major transitions in programs and leadership at Diabetes Hands Foundation BERKELEY, CA: February 18, 2015 – The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team


Melissa Lee
(Interim Executive Director, Editor, has type 1)

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, has LADA)

Emily Coles (Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Director of Operations and Development, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)


Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)


Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)


LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word


This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2015   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service