So my husband and I are trying to conceive our second child and I was placed on an OmniPod insulin pump last October. So what I'm wondering is what is some good placement for my pods during pregnancy?

Tags: OmniPod, insulin, placement, pods, pregnancy, pump

Views: 218

Replies to This Discussion

I wore my pods on my upper arm and on my "love handle". The good news about maternity clothes is that I could wear the pod where my waist band used to be without the annoying rubbing. I wore my pods on my butt (by my jeans pocket) pre-pregnancy, but had terrible absorption after about week 10. Good luck!

I like to wear my pods on the back of my upper arm - i forget they are even there. I do experience pod change highs in that spot though (and don't experience pod change highs in any other spot on my body) but I try to minimize them by bolusing .5units on the expiring pod, taking it off, putting the new pod on and bolusing 1.6 units right away. Of course your boluses might be different, but just to give you an idea of what works for me.

My favorite spots were my lower back, upper butt and sometimes my arms and thighs. I haven't used my tummy in about 2 years (scar tissues from my MDI days). Just make sure your script is for a pod change every 48hrs. I was changing my pods out every 36hrs by the end of my pregnancy.

I agree with the previous posters, but I didn't use my arms because of the spikes that occur with pod changes when I put them there, and I was pretty obsessed with avoiding spikes. I found I could use my tummy, just lower and further out (but not quite to the hip) because of the way my pregnant stomach was shaped and the non-constricting waistbands. I also liked my lower back.

Before I got pregnant, I thought the size of the pods was going to be an issue with placement, but it really wasn't. And the smaller sized pod is supposed to FINALLY be out this year, which should help you immensely.

I wear an omnipod as well. I have just continued to wear the pods on my ever-growing belly! My pump trainer, when I first started wearing the pod, told me that it was fine, as long as I could stand it. I guess it's just what I've gotten used to. I've never had much luck with my arm or lower back. I couldn't get used to the placement, and kept bumping it on things. The only downside is, that it does stick out a lot through my clothes (I'm 28 weeks) and the kids I work with (I teach 3rd graders) are convinced you can see the baby's foot kicking, no matter how many times I remind them it's my pump!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Where are you Medicare? The elephant was not in the room

This was the question burning in people’s mind and passionately talked about yesterday and today at the General Sessions of the AACE/ACE Consensus Conference on Glucose Monitoring, an event to bring together in Washington, DC all relevant stakeholders to Read on! →

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service